Marking Magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A while back, I posted asking what people used to fill in the cutouts on their receivers and magazines.

I got a lot of various ways to accomplish this. Model Paint, Grease Markers, China Markers, Crayons, Sharpies, etc.

Some folks asked "why bother?" and "What do you gain by doing it?"

Well, when I am at the range with similar magazines using different calibers, it is nice to have a visual cue as to what caliber magazine I am holding.

Same goes for when I toss the mags in the bag at the end of the session. Nice to see the difference for reloading.

I think I have settled on the China Marker (Red) that I got at Home Depot.
Good contrast and easy to do.

Here are a couple pics to show the difference between a marked and an unmarked magazine.
I also like the idea of marking at least the last witness hole number. Not as easy to read, but still helpful.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4034s.jpg
    IMG_4034s.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4033s.jpg
    IMG_4033s.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 242

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I borrowed your photo. I mark mine Gold for 40 calibers and Silver for the 9mm mags. I mark them at the back/bottom and at the top/back with the colors, we shoot every Tuesday with son in law and a few others and most shoot Glocks and we all have different colors and markings. Some fill them in like you did with colors. Anyway, it keeps em from finding new homes in other guys shooting bags!! LOL!!!

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used the colored tape and spray paint, mainly for Uzi and AR mags as they clear the mag well.

This clears the mag well and is relatively easy to clean up (no sticky stuff).

Still have to see how it holds up to heat generation.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another option is colored floor plates.

I agree. That is one of the things I do with the Uzi mags. Paint the floor plates.

In this marking venture, I was looking for effective but very inexpensive.

The number of mags I want to mark, make the floorplates a bit expensive.

Be good for one or two for SD ammo and the like.

Dave

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. That is one of the things I do with the Uzi mags. Paint the floor plates.

In this marking venture, I was looking for effective but very inexpensive.

The number of mags I want to mark, make the floorplates a bit expensive.

Be good for one or two for SD ammo and the like.

Dave

I agree ratski. Not that I don't like them colored floor plates. But it is cheap to use a marker on mine, I have a lot of mags. We shoot on Tuesday eve most weeks, so Monday I am loading mags while kicking back. I will load 20 or more pistol mag's as I hate to load them at the shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom