Mask's for Coronavirus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If everyone wears masks (any type) then we will achieve something akin to herd immunity.....hopefully people get on board with this

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, cant believe a Dr said that. Yeah some will be caught if you sneeze or cough but if you're wearing mask, much of that is going to blow out the sides WITH a good quantity of droplets. Air is like water, it takes the path of least resistance

Where as if someone coughs/sneezes their snot your way, the mask will prevent you from getting infected

What is it you can't believe? Your post has a number of fallacies in it. A mask of any kind can reduce the risk... to varying degrees. My personal opinion is that a standard cloth or paper mask reduces it only a little (albeit some) when you are trying to reduce your chances of being infected when out shopping in the general public.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Defense in depth. Someone can pick a lock or smash a window but I still lock my doors. Throwing away a measure because it isn't a 100% solution is asinine.

No one is advocating throwing anything away. What I am concerned with is a false sense of security and the danger that poses, as well as unreasonable expectations and the sometimes violent responses people can have when they don't understand things.

Like seeing someone in scrubs at the store and verbally assaulting them. Or worse. Ignorance is dangerous in many ways.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one is advocating throwing anything away. What I am concerned with is a false sense of security and the danger that poses, as well as unreasonable expectations and the sometimes violent responses people can have when they don't understand things.

Like seeing someone in scrubs at the store and verbally assaulting them. Or worse. Ignorance is dangerous in many ways.

I wasn't speaking to your points. I was speaking to those who are saying that because it's not 100% effective we shouldn't do it at all.

If wearing masks in public can blunt the spread of the virus, even a small percentage point, then it's worth it, isn't it?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't speaking to your points. I was speaking to those who are saying that because it's not 100% effective we shouldn't do it at all.

If wearing masks in public can blunt the spread of the virus, even a small percentage point, then it's worth it, isn't it?
I guess it's ok. Yeah, I'm all for reduction, within reason depending on the scenario. It's just like locking everyone down. Really, we should order everyone in their homes and not allow them to leave, deliver bags of rice and beans and tell them to suck it up. That's the ultimate way to stop it... but it's all about convenience/inconvenience, the economy and survival. we have to balance all of these things.

There's no good answer, for sure.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Risk reduction needs to be the mantra. A few more protective measures than might be needed, because no one knows how much is enough. Prudent and practical measures without paranoia.

One concern I have is how people react to seeing people wearing masks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Risk reduction needs to be the mantra. A few more protective measures than might be needed, because no one knows how much is enough. Prudent and practical measures without paranoia.

One concern I have is how people react to seeing people wearing masks.

And what reaction is that? I'm curious what you have seen, or are you talking theoretically?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what reaction is that? I'm curious what you have seen, or are you talking theoretically?
I have not seen any bad reactions but did read about an Asian in NYC being attacked because they were wearing a mask.....apparently something quite normal in east Asia provoked fear in the attacker..

Latest posts

Top Bottom