Mauser Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably what would be defined as a shade tree gunsmith/parts changer and need alittle education in this area so I hope someone can help me out with this. I looked through some of the forums and didn't see an answer to my question so I thought I'd put it out here.

I'm trying to find out the differance between a large ring mauser action and a small ring mauser action. Pros and cons of both, personal opinions and likes and dislikes, bring it all on. If any one could help me out with that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Large ring Mauser ('98) is the most desirable of the two; O.D. of receiver ring 1.4", barrel shank thread 1.1"x12t.p.i., cocks on opening, more aftermarket parts, guide rib on bolt, third lug on bolt, Mauser collar. Small ring Mauser ('93,'95,'96) ; O.D. of receiver ring 1.3", barrel shank thread .980"x12t.p.i., no third bolt lug, cocks on closing, no guide rib on bolt, no Mauser collar (located inside the front of the receiver at the bottom of the barrel shank threads). The std. length large ring '98 adapts easily to .308/.30-06 class cartridges. The small ring is best with lower pressure cartridges. Cocks on opening/closing affects distance firing pin travels for ignition. Some 'small ring' '98's built during WW2, small ring w/ large thread = thin front ring wall. A gagillion Mauser actions (and complete rifles) have been used for custom rifles over the last 100+ years. The '98 was and is built in several variations, the Charles Daly and Rem. 798 are modern versions of commercial Mausers, commercial actions also made in the past by several makers. Military Mausers recognizable by the clip charger guide and thumb cut on left receiver rail. I've seen 2 lengths of military '98's recently, known as std. length has magazine box w/ 3.315" length or there abouts, intermediate lenght has mag. box of 3.115" to 3.232" length, distance between guard screws same as small ring actions on the ones with the shorter mag. box. Both large and small ring actions are made of low carbon steel and case hardened, (modern bolt rifle actions are made of alloy steel and hardens all the way through). Both were made in military form for countries around the world. Saw a news clip from Afganistan awhile back and spotted an Afgani with a '98 slung over his shoulder, there still in use today in many parts of the world.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good points from Shortgrass. It would be good if you had a chance to sit down with someone that is familiar with both types and actually look and be able to compare side by side. Depending on a couple of things, the large ring is typically considered superior. However, military 98's that are still commonly available seldom compare in overall quality to the small ring Swedish rifles you can still find relatively easy. The Swedish Mausers are a whole cut above in quality compared to other WWI & WWII era rifles (IMO) (I'm not Swedish). Get one of each and compare, read, and you will probably appreciate both.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, the Swedish Mauser '96 is top notch craftsmanship , but, lacks the strength of the Mauser '98 design. I don't care for the '98's that were built during the wars and saw battle field use, some show some pretty hard use and were manufactured under war time pressure to get rifles in the hands of troops so they lack the craftsmanship and finish. Check out the model '98's built between WW1 and WW2, some fine examples can be found and these are the ones I prefer to use for a custom set-up. A Model '98, unless manufactured by slave labor or with a hack saw and file (Shangkishek) in the Far East , will always be stronger by design than any of the pre-'98 Mausers. If you could sit down with an un-barreled action of each , Model '96, '93,'95, and a Model '98, the difference is obvious. As a foot note, the Mausers manufactured during the WW's are, fast, becoming valuable pieces of history. There seem to quit a few of WW2 manufacture but I sure don't see many GEW '98's built and used during WW1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom