Maybe another 22 pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife wants a 22 pistol...mainly because she went with me to the steel challenge match and thought it looked like so much fun.

So we are going to look at some this weekend at the gunshow. I have a Ruger 22/45 and she likes that a lot, but having two of them just seems like a waste. Although if thats what she wants that what she will get.

What about the Buckmark vs. the Beretta? Pros and cons of each? Any others that we should also be looking at?

It wont be modified in any way...just left as is from the box.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
check out a Chipmunk single shot pistol ... made in USA and very reasonably priced at about $180.

comes in a youth version with smaller trigger/guard or adult version.
just ordered the adult trigger, guard and scope mount.

polished sear before installing with a bit of moly.... trigger is a crisp 2lb 2oz
comes with NICE fiber optic sights.

awww.gunblast.com_images_SHOT2009_Day3_DSC05120.JPG

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger 22/45 and she likes that a lot, but having two of them just seems like a waste.

No. For $75 you can have a full replacement parts set for both of you. Common mags, etc.. Things are quiet now, in Gunworld, but don't kid yourself. If the dems stay in November, things will start getting tight again.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my little buckmark. I've had it for around 30+ years now and have put unknown number of rounds thru it. Many many many thousands.
I've had most of them and they're all good choices. My current favorite is the little S&W 617. Cost is quite a bit more than most of the autos out there though.

Maybe take her to a shop and let her check a few out for fit. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the better brands out there.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the S&W 22a-1.It has a 5 1/2 in. heavy barrel and a top rail and comes with a green fiber optic front sight.It looks good too as it is 2 toned and comes with the standard S&W warranty.$269.00 plus tax at Sport world.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one and liked it very much. Just like the Ruger better.

The Buckmark idea popped in my head at my first steel challenge. One of the guys I was shooting with was using a Buckmark and was extremely good with it...obviously I think the shooter had more to do with it than the gun, but the gun was quite reliable for him and I have heard that they tend to come with pretty darn good triggers.

I have never handled a Beretta NEOS (I think thats the name) but thought I would try and get input on both before the gunshow.

Try the S&W 22a-1.It has a 5 1/2 in. heavy barrel and a top rail and comes with a green fiber optic front sight.It looks good too as it is 2 toned and comes with the standard S&W warranty.$269.00 plus tax at Sport world.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Buck Mark and a MKIII. I've not handled or dealt with a 22/45, but I like my MKIII better than the Browning, I prefer the added heft and in general feel it's a better built gun (although I do have a compensator and Trail-Lite barrel on the Browning, which has made things lighter still). However, my opinion of build quality may have absolutely no bearing on how good the gun really is, even after 50K rounds, but, I still like my Ruger better. Despite the compensator on the Browning, it still has significantly more felt recoil than my MKIII (Hunter), the Browning changed very little with the new barrel and compensator. Browning mags are also more expensive.

All that said, my wife prefers the Browning because of its lighter weight, but here again, it would probably be more comparable to a 22/45 than my big Hunter model. However, neither one of us were able to hit anything with any accuracy until I put a FastFire II on the Browning, we didn't like the factory sites at all - I don't know why, nobody else seems to have this problem. The MKIII wears an UltraDot MatchDot.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anschutz Exemptlar!! Every gun made required to shoot into 1/2" or better at 50yds, or it gets run back through the factory to find out why!!

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check out a Chipmunk single shot pistol ... made in USA and very reasonably priced at about $180.

Anschutz Exemptlar!! Every gun made required to shoot into 1/2" or better at 50yds, or it gets run back through the factory to find out why!!

I ask out of total ignorance, but can a steel challenge be shot (competitively) with a single shot pistol?

Latest posts

Top Bottom