Meat shortage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've eaten a lot of god creatures in my time and still do. My daughters wont come to our house for supper if im cooking. They say you never know what your eating if dad cooks :sweat:
In the past when they were young they have eaten when I've cooked and they had no idea what they were eating and went back for seconds. Now that they are older and wiser they dont believe me when I tell them im cooking chicken:anyone: So they will call to talk and I will invite them out to eat, they ask what im cooking, I tell them chicken, they say no thanks. I tell their mom that I invited them for supper but they said no, I go to the freezer and pull out a couple of ribeyes and say to mom I guess they dont care for ribeye.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've eaten a lot of god creatures in my time and still do. My daughters wont come to our house for supper if im cooking. They say you never know what your eating if dad cooks :sweat:
In the past when they were young they have eaten when I've cooked and they had no idea what they were eating and went back for seconds. Now that they are older and wiser they don't believe me when I tell them im cooking chicken:anyone:

HA!Ha! That's the same way around our house. When they come here they know its going to be wild meat 90% of the time.
One friend brought her own burger one time for a party we were having with burgers as the main event. Said she knew I was cooking deer and couldn't stand the smell or taste of it. I made the patty's with her watching and put them in her special corner on the grill. She kept and eagle eye on them with only one thirty second distraction to talk to a friend.
That's when the great switcharoo took place. It was hard to keep a straight face when she commented on how good her burger was. Never told her the truth. The satisfaction was mine.

Last edited:

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same way here Dennis...I love to see people talk about not liking venison. elk, or whatever and have their mouth full chewing it...I will say I've tried bear 2-4 times, and just can't make myself like it. I tried stew a couple of times with cubes made out of some pretty sorry cuts of front shoulders of deer. It tasted good, BUT, durn it was extra chewy....LOL. Them go to the bird dogs now. And we've killed lots of wild hogs here, and I just can't make myself eat one. The way I look at it...."if the coyotes won't eat them. why should I?" I guess I've just never been that hungry.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same way here Dennis...I love to see people talk about not liking venison. elk, or whatever and have their mouth full chewing it...I will say I've tried bear 2-4 times, and just can't make myself like it. I tried stew a couple of times with cubes made out of some pretty sorry cuts of front shoulders of deer. It tasted good, BUT, durn it was extra chewy....LOL. Them go to the bird dogs now. And we've killed lots of wild hogs here, and I just can't make myself eat one. The way I look at it...."if the coyotes won't eat them. why should I?" I guess I've just never been that hungry.
I've noticed that nothing eats the dead raccoons or possums taken from traps after being dispatched either other than humans.
I've never tried bear, although some say it's great. Deer pretty much all gets ground up into burger with 20% pork fat added. I'll save the tenderloins to bacon wrap on the smoker.
I had steaks made from the hindquarter of an elk once. Only once. That was the toughest meat I've ever had. Needed to use a meat hammer to tenderize them and then coat in flour to fry. Pretty good that way.
A pressure cooker works really well getting those tougher cuts ready for a stew.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed that nothing eats the dead raccoons or possums taken from traps after being dispatched either other than humans.
I've never tried bear, although some say it's great. Deer pretty much all gets ground up into burger with 20% pork fat added. I'll save the tenderloins to bacon wrap on the smoker.
I had steaks made from the hindquarter of an elk once. Only once. That was the toughest meat I've ever had. Needed to use a meat hammer to tenderize them and then coat in flour to fry. Pretty good that way.
A pressure cooker works really well getting those tougher cuts ready for a stew.
I have been looking at a grinder....just never had one myself....my father-in-law had one and I borrowed it a couple of times. But, it was small and just took a lot of time to work up a batch. Anyway, living in the country and feeding out about 3 head of beef every year for us and family, we're a long way from running out of meat. And we always help out the FFA members in the community and buy a couple case of Blue & Gold sausage and lot's of bacon every year....and then there's always the occasional show pigs from some neighbor's kids...LOL
I have been elk hunting pretty regular since 1972 and always seemed to bring one home. I've killed a couple of big elk to hang on the wall in those years, but I'd just as soon shoot a small bull or dry cow for the meat. I guess I was lucky, in all those years I only had one elk that was "tough". My family really likes elk. Moose is great, too.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at a grinder....just never had one myself....my father-in-law had one and I borrowed it a couple of times. But, it was small and just took a lot of time to work up a batch. Anyway, living in the country and feeding out about 3 head of beef every year for us and family, we're a long way from running out of meat. And we always help out the FFA members in the community and buy a couple case of Blue & Gold sausage and lot's of bacon every year....and then there's always the occasional show pigs from some neighbor's kids...LOL
I have been elk hunting pretty regular since 1972 and always seemed to bring one home. I've killed a couple of big elk to hang on the wall in those years, but I'd just as soon shoot a small bull or dry cow for the meat. I guess I was lucky, in all those years I only had one elk that was "tough". My family really likes elk. Moose is great, too.
Cabelas Carnivore series meat grinders are really nice. I have a 1/2hp and use it for personal use and at deer camp for new youth hunters. We used it on 10 or 11 deer in 2019. It will grind as fast as you can feed it.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have used this one for years
IMGA1323 (1)_1.jpg

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the Crest Foods @ Hefner/Rockwell about 9am this morning. It was absolutely fully completely stocked, no shortage of anything. Meat was FULL. They also have a meat case, point to what you want, they weigh, wrap and label it. Boneless skinless chicken breast was $1.49 !!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is starting to open back up. I am still seeing some things I can only find once in awhile or in very limited quantities but it is improving. How soon it is all back to normal depends on how fast the meat packing plants are all back operating but Trump helped with that by declaring them part of the national defense or whatever it is called.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the Crest Foods @ Hefner/Rockwell about 9am this morning. It was absolutely fully completely stocked, no shortage of anything. Meat was FULL. They also have a meat case, point to what you want, they weigh, wrap and label it. Boneless skinless chicken breast was $1.49 !!!

We went to Crest on SW 104 last weekend they were fully stocked with beef and pork also. Read where Okla Cattlemens Assoc has on their website a list of ranchers with local beef for sale direct to consumers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom