Meat Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a brinkman electric water smoker. Its nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I paid like $70 for it. It will do enough food for me and the wife but could do alot more if I needed to. I use mine primarily for chicken breast and smoked bolgona so I don't get too crazy with me.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Oklahoma Joe" is still on the competitive BBQ circuit. The team I was on sat up next to them last year. Nice guys, had a few with them.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grills.jpg These are my cookers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you want a stick burner and they are great if you know what you are doing, but I was never able to keep them at a constant temp. So I bought a CookShack and they just can't be beat IMO. Set it and forget it for about 15/20 hours, then start looking to see if your brisket is done. Everything I've done in mind was mind blowingly good. I kind of want a Big Green Egg too. If I was going to buy one that used any sort of real fire it would be a BGE.

Edit to add: Remember the big Christmas Eve blizzard a few years ago? I had a 15lb brisket running through the night during that blast. The cold wind didn't phase the CookShack one bit.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably get laughed on the stage, but I'm thinking about picking up a Char-Griller Duo from Lowe's. Half propane, half charcoal, but has an optional side-fire box. Starting at $300 for the unit and $50~ for the side-fire box.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Out of the box, they just seem mediocre to somewhat decent. But, there's a lot of people modifying these things to make pretty incredible rigs. So, I'd like to pick one up, re-paint and treat it, add a side-fire box, have someone cut me some steel heat tuning plates for the charcoal side and a baffle for the lid to bring the stack down closer to the food.

i202.photobucket.com_albums_aa110_carmo328_PICT0565.jpg

If anyone gives you guff about it, explain that the propane is for your wife.

daugbl5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a new all in one model. I bought a Trager wood pellet grill. Their are several models and it is a smoker,grill and confection oven all in one!
The price range is definitely twice of a traditional propane grill, but it is supposed to be in use for Ten years or so. The pellets come in a large variety but have to say that I prefer Pecan for most of what I have done. A bag of pellets is comparible to a bottle of propane and if you buy like 5 bags at a time Gene Sears will
make it worth your while. It has one dial and you can set it on smoke all the way up to 400 degrees. I have smoked Ribs,Brisket,Pork Butt,a stick of Blue and Gold Sausage,chicken breast and leg quarters. I have only had people rave over all of it. HAve to say its the best steak I have ever had period!

I think we should have a smoke off between fellow OSA'ers! That would be a fun time!

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister in law is the CFO at Cookshack. They seem to make some really high quality smokers, and they are made right here in Oklahoma up in Ponca City.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a brinkman electric water smoker. Its nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I paid like $70 for it. It will do enough food for me and the wife but could do alot more if I needed to. I use mine primarily for chicken breast and smoked bolgona so I don't get too crazy with me.

I have used these for the last ten years. I am on my second one that I got at a garage sale for $5 two years ago.

They work great, and you don't have to mess with them to keep the temp right.

Just put some hickory chunks in when you fire it up, and you are good to go.

I can smoke up to a 20# turkey and a 20# ham at the same time using the two racks.

One of my secrets is to put 2 lbs. of red beans in the water pan and let it catch the ham drippings. Good Stuff!

Latest posts

Top Bottom