Mechanics of OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought you might like some of the laughs here

http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/

one of my favorites:
oil change fail
i.imgur.com_IojTq.jpg

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a newer vette Z06 or maybe a ZR1, if so those LS7 engines basically have a dry sump system. There is a cap on the valve cover but that is not where you put the oil. The oil pan holds maybe a quart or two at any time (maybe) There are two drain plugs on the oil pan, one drain plug is for the little amount of residual oil left in the pan, the other drain plug is connected to a transfer tube that drains the external sump.

The engine holds approx 10.5 quarts of oil that needs to be filled though the external oil tank. If you try to fill through the engine valve cover hole then the oil will fill up into the upper engine and get pushed through the crankcase vent & PCV, intake and then through the cylinders and out the exhaust. Very dumb mistake that can be very expensive to fix, hopefully all they created was a big smokey mess. It really blows my mind that an owner of a vehicle like that has the capacity to allow that to happen, either by doing it themselves or taking it somewhere that has no clue of what they are doing.

BTW, funny site to read up on. Maybe I will start logging my own experiences. Its amazing what I see from some of the vehicles that I work on. Sometimes the condition of peoples vehicles are so bad its absolutely scary considering they are on the same roads as you and your family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom