Medical supplies deficit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In considering things, I've decided that I'm under-equipped in the area of medical supplies and first-aid. I have the standard household items that every parent has. But that seems completely inadequate for anything worse than "boo-boos".

Anyone else in the same situation? Any advice on what to do or not to do?
Anyone in the medical field, please make some suggestions on what a kit should contain.

Thanks for any input.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'm not in the medical field, I would recommend having several triangle bandages, they make great slings and tourniquets. You might have to get them ar a medical supply shop, as I've rarely seen them at places like Wal-Mart, Target, or Academy.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am new to prepping but just out of curiosity on the same subject lets say I have some old antibiotic and pain killers that were not taken. How long will they last? I figure shtf they might come in handy to tread a wound or something.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Search this section of the forum and you'll find some good discussions.

Start with the basics; bleeding control, wound hygiene, disease prevention etc...go with what you know first, build your kit as skills grow.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to prepping but just out of curiosity on the same subject lets say I have some old antibiotic and pain killers that were not taken. How long will they last? I figure shtf they might come in handy to tread a wound or something.

Depends on what antibiotic. Tetracycline does degrade to compounds which can be dangerous. Almost everything else is fine for years after its expiration date.

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that the diff between normal and medical super-glue was that the med glue had a chemical that causes stinging removed. Other than that, they are the same. So +1 on that.
Maxi-pads would seem useful when used in this cotex, eh, context, I mean.

What about that powder that acts as a coagulant? Any info on that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom