Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

• Total voters

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer Happy Holidays, but I do have a slightly off topic question.

Why do we put a tree in our house and decorate it to celebrate the "birth of jesus"?
Our holidays make no sense sometimes. Let's go hide eggs and wait for a bunny to bring us candy.
What in the wide world of sports does this have to do with anything?

It's for the children. Isn't everything we do for the children? :anyone:

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CHRISTMAS TREE TRADITION HAS ANCIENT ORIGINS from http://www.christmas-tree.com/where.html

King Tut never saw a Christmas tree, but he would have understood the tradition which traces back long before the first Christmas, says David Robson, Extension Educator, Horticulture with the Springfield Extension Center.

The Egyptians were part of a long line of cultures that treasured and worshipped evergreens. When the winter solstice arrive, they brought green date palm leaves into their homes to symbolize life's triumph over death.

The Romans celebrated the winter solstice with a fest called Saturnalia in honor of Saturnus, the god of agriculture. They decorated their houses with greens and lights and exchanged gifts. They gave coins for prosperity, pastries for happiness, and lamps to light one's journey through life.

Centuries ago in Great Britain, woods priests called Druids used evergreens during mysterious winter solstice rituals. The Druids used holly and mistletoe as symbols of eternal life, and place evergreen branches over doors to keep away evil spirits.

Late in the Middle Ages, Germans and Scandinavians placed evergreen trees inside their homes or just outside their doors to show their hope in the forthcoming spring. Our modern Christmas tree evolved from these early traditions.

Legend has it that Martin Luther began the tradition of decorating trees to celebrate Christmas. One crisp Christmas Eve, about the year 1500, he was walking through snow-covered woods and was struck by the beauty of a group of small evergreens. Their branches, dusted with snow, shimmered in the moonlight. When he got home, he set up a little fir tree indoors so he could share this story with his children. He decorated it with candles, which he lighted in honor of Christ's birth.

The Christmas tree tradition most likely came to the United States with Hessian troops during the American Revolution, or with German immigrants to Pennsylvania and Ohio, adds Robson.

But the custom spread slowly. The Puritans banned Christmas in New England. Even as late as 1851, a Cleveland minister nearly lost his job because he allowed a tree in his church. Schools in Boston stayed open on Christmas Day through 1870, and sometimes expelled students who stayed home.

The Christmas tree market was born in 1851 when Catskill farmer Mark Carr hauled two ox sleds of evergreens into New York City and sold them all. By 1900, one in five American families had a Christmas tree, and 20 years later, the custom was nearly universal.

keensaber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say Merry Christmas but I also think Happy Holidays is appropriate. If I were in a room full of people that I know are not Christians. Maybe they are Jewish and or Muslim, I would wish them a Happy Holiday. If you get down to it are we not supposed to show kindness, love and compassion for our fellow man at this time? I don't get wrapped around the axle on verbage.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Christmas has pretty much become a commercialized and secular holiday. It is celebrated in countries that are not primarily Christian, like Japan for example, as a happy time to gather family, exchange gifts, party etc.

In civilized nations Merry Christmas is not a perjorative.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happy Holidays isn't necessarily PC. Alot of people are wishing you Happy Holidays for the whole season, including Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, etc. I don't find this offensive. Now, I would find it offensive if someone told me I couldn't say Merry Christmas, but I really think that's another matter. In the end, I think we have to be sure not to be as easily offended as the pansies on the left.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So long as this nation is overwhelmingly Christian, no one should be offended by Merry Christmas. Don't like it? Breed until you're the majority, then replace it. Till then, get over yourself! :D

Hopefully the Constitution will prevent anyone frm "replacing" someone else's religion.
Why should anyone be offended even if Christianity became a minority religion? Isn't freedom of religion applicable even then?
Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Top Bottom