Mildly Corrosive Ammo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering buying some 7.62 Nato at a great price, but the description says it is "Mildly Corrosive." What exactly does that mean and is it safe to shoot in my Remington 700 or Springfield Socom 16, etc.?? It is military surplus POF ammo and the link and full description is just below. I would appreciate any guidance or opinions anyone has to offer. Obviously everyone wants to save a buck but not at the expense of permanently damaging a weapon! Thanks.....
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/0_33_131/products_id/3686

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said!!!!! Right after your done hose down the bolt, bolt face, chamber & bore with half windex and water. Then when you get home tear it down and clean her up good!!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you start with something waterbased. Followed up with the normal solvent and oil that you use. Ballistol works great, that's what is was invented for, but the windex and water is much cheaper and is just as effective. Just don't let it rust. You can shoot all you want without worry.

glock23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd pass on that stuff. If you were talking about using it in a AK or SKS ok .but not in what you are shooting.How much more would Remington UMC cost??

Here is the description and price....never found UMC this cheap but will check it out....thanks for the thought.......
This is .308 Czech Republic Seller & Bellot Military Surplus 147gr FMJ Ammo. This ammo is manufactured by Seller & Bellot. It is Brass cased and berdan primed and mildly corrosive. It comes packed in 20rd boxes and 1060rds per case for $359....

minihawk1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corrosive ammo is ok to shoot. Because the ammo is surplus and from a different country, it uses a corrosive primer thus making your gun covered in corrosive salts. The corrosive salts absorb moisture which speeds the rusting process faster in your barrel. As long as you clean your gun right after you shoot, you will be fine. To clean your gun, boil water and put put a mixture of soap after boiled. You can either do this two ways, first put the cloth on your ramrod then soak it in the solution you made then shove it in your barrel, do this about three times. After your done put another piece of cloth on your ramrod and just soak it with warm water, do this about three times. The second way is to get a funnel and a tube that will fit down in the chamber and through the barrel. Pour the solution in the funnel until your out, then pour warm water to get the soap residue out. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom