Military Rifle Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ft Cambell Ky in 1970, we used plastic upper torso man sized targets that fell when hit. They auto reset a couple of seconds later. If I remember right, it was 25-100-250, and 500 meters. I always hated the metric system. Men use yards and feet!

We didn't have the pits, and manual system.

jchip123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At Ft Gordon Georgia I qualified with the M14, the range officer would give the command to fire and cease fire and the number of rounds to be shot during that string. The pit crew would raise and lower the target on the RO's command, while down they would mark the hits than raise their target and using a long poll with a white disk they would cycle the poll up and down the number of hits that they recorded. I think the normal round count would be a full magazine of 20 rnds.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how i remember it 86 to 91 in the army for the m16. I would add the 50 yard targets would stay up for 3 seconds and all other distances were 5 seconds. I only saw this setup conus though. At Graf it was reduced targets and short distances except for the m60 and m2 which were on 800 or 1000 meter ranges. I could be wrong on that, all i really remember for certain was the cold.

Graf?! Awesome!

I'm an army brat. My dad was stationed at Graf twice, I think 69-70 & 75-78. I was in elementary school the first time, then jr high & high school the second tour. Went to jr high in Vilseck and high school in Nurenberg. Came back to CONUS and graduated in Texas in 79. Dad was the ATC at the air field. He left a set of dominoes in a desk drawer the first time and they were still there his second tour.

I always heard that being stationed at Graf was a lot different than going to the field there. We always lived off post and rode our bikes or moped into post. I always felt sorry for the guys living in the tents off the tank trails out there.

Just recalling yesterday the favorite hangout at Graf was the bowling alley! Good times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Graf?! Awesome!

I'm an army brat. My dad was stationed at Graf twice, I think 69-70 & 75-78. I was in elementary school the first time, then jr high & high school the second tour. Went to jr high in Vilseck and high school in Nurenberg. Came back to CONUS and graduated in Texas in 79. Dad was the ATC at the air field. He left a set of dominoes in a desk drawer the first time and they were still there his second tour.

I always heard that being stationed at Graf was a lot different than going to the field there. We always lived off post and rode our bikes or moped into post. I always felt sorry for the guys living in the tents off the tank trails out there.

Just recalling yesterday the favorite hangout at Graf was the bowling alley! Good times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ha! Sucks for me, the only times i went there was for the range and field exercises. I think the last time was Reforger in 88 or 89. Yes, it was miserable, but i miss the crap out of it sometimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom