MM users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a Med Mary user but......for those that are. What happens when/if the AYE TEE EFF cross references the states records
with gun purchases and or gun ownership? Seems it would be like shooting sitting ducks for criminal charges. This may have been covered here but I have missed it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The records are privileged medical information. They can't just get a list of medical users. If they get the records without a probable cause warrant it's illegal. Not that that's stopped the feds before...especially as corrupt as the DOJ and federal law enforcement is these days.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The records are privileged medical information. They can't just get a list of medical users. If they get the records without a probable cause warrant it's illegal. Not that that's stopped the feds before...especially as corrupt as the DOJ and federal law enforcement is these days.
That's kinda my point. They are lawless. They already have a data base by every serial number is what I understand. So they can selectively charge who they want if they hacked the records.
But since they don't spy on civilians there is no need to worry. s/k

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's kinda my point. They are lawless. They already have a data base by every serial number is what I understand. So they can selectively charge who they want if they hacked the records.
But since they don't spy on civilians there is no need to worry. s/k

I don't believe that. Not saying they don't have an illegal database (because if they have it, it's illegal) but if they do it's far from complete. Not even close.

I'll tell you why I believe that:

First, there are too many records and too many guns were sold before easily compiling and keeping databases was easy. When I closed my gun shop in Colorado to retire I dutifully sent my records (4473s and bound books) into the out-of-business records center. That was at the same time they were moving that facility from wherever it was to wherever it is currently...locations escape me at the moment. I also filled out the forms alerting the ATF my shop was no longer in operation.

For over 5 years after that I would get calls from the ATF for traces. 5 freakin years. If that wasn't bad enough I never had a compliance inspection in the 12 years I was in business. Not one. 4 years (I'm guessing...it's been a while) after notifying the ATF I was closing up shop I got a call from an inspector to schedule an inspection.

When I explained to the people I talked to during these trace requests why I couldn't help them with their traces and was out of business, almost every person told me the record keeping system they had was a massive fuster cluck. This anecdotal evidence of ATF incompetence dates back to around mid 2015...so several years ago. I doubt it's improved much.

There's also a real lack of understanding on the part of most people as to what information is passed on when a dealer runs a background check. All the state and/or NICS knows about the type of gun in the transaction is it's a handgun, long gun or other (not sure how it's worded on the newest version of the 4473 but it's something like that). No specific identifying gun information is passed along during the background check. The exception to that would be for a multiple handgun transaction.

The only way the ATF gets specific gun information is to visit the shop and physically look at the 4473. And I don't think they have the manpower, the time, or the inclination to do that because we're talking millions of guns sold every year.

Frankly I'm not too worried about a database of guns/persons that can be crossed with MMJ license information.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a Med Mary user but......for those that are. What happens when/if the AYE TEE EFF cross references the states records
with gun purchases and or gun ownership? Seems it would be like shooting sitting ducks for criminal charges. This may have been covered here but I have missed it.
Well, who issues CPLs? Who issues MMj cards?

Latest posts

Top Bottom