More deer activity...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowhunters, adults that took children this week, what kind of deer activity did you see? Bachelor groups? Split up? I didn't see enough bucks this weekend to make any type of assumption on patterns. Just saw one spike, alone... up to no good I'm sure. Was hanging a stand Saturday afternoon and I did come across three scrapes, first that I have seen all year. They were spaced out on a tree line beside a big meadow along the river. I looked the rest of the weekend and never came across another one. They were all very fresh, dirt wasn't even dried out. Certainly looking forward to the coming weeks in the stand.

[Broken External Image]

Reaction score
Nice. I love finding scrapes (especially when you find one the size of a honda car hood).

This morning we discovered that the deer have been very very active in removing themselves from the public land, across the road to the east onto private land. Some guy pulled up in a pickup truck with 4 pitbulls in the back (really) as we're walking out from the public land, coming from the private land just across the road.

"You guys see any deer?"

"Just one, across the fence on private land to the north."

"Oh this place is crawling with deer - we just saw a bunch of them about 8:00 over here [pointing back to where he came from on private land]. You got to get out here real early, like 7:30."

"We were here at 5:30."

Went on from there - He just couldn't grasp that the deer are smart and re-locate themselves when the shootin starts (for the most part). Anyway, that's huntin public land for ya. Time to focus solely on private now, except for the remote-est spots on public...

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have had some pics on our trail cams of bucks sparing, and evidence of the same activity in a food plot. I have not ventured into one of the areas that I think the bucks use heavily before the chasing. but next weekend I will be there waiting for first light.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My scouting is over. Other than walking in and out of the hunting area, I don't wander around looking for anything anymore this season.
I don't want them to change their pre-rut patterns because they have smelled me.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friday evening I saw 19 deer come out on a wheat field. I was watching from about 1/2 mile. At least 14 of them were carrying head gear. Another field had 13 on it and at least 6 of them were bucks. Looks like a good year here.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friday evening I saw 19 deer come out on a wheat field. I was watching from about 1/2 mile. At least 14 of them were carrying head gear. Another field had 13 on it and at least 6 of them were bucks. Looks like a good year here.

Good deal! Where I hunt I can't see further than 100 yards in any one place. Can't wait for this weekend either!

TATER

Marksman
Reaction score
My scouting is over. Other than walking in and out of the hunting area, I don't wander around looking for anything anymore this season.
I don't want them to change their pre-rut patterns because they have smelled me.

I agree with you 100%. No sense in wandering around and spreading your scent when it's much better to stay right where you're at.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been seeing scrapes popping up on my food plot lately.. seems like they pop up in the same spots the last three years.. one's the size of what dr tad likes, its a car hood sized one with 4 or 5 licking branches.. I need to be hunting it right after this rain, and see what comes in and freshens it up..

I'm hunting on a place that trail cams are showing bucks still running together also.. There's 4 nice bucks, one might go 145ish.. Just need a hot doe to lead him by my stand here in a couple weeks!!

ai265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_1287323449457imagejpeg_2.jpg

ai265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_1287324058015imagejpeg_2.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been seeing scrapes popping up on my food plot lately.. seems like they pop up in the same spots the last three years.. one's the size of what dr tad likes, its a car hood sized one with 4 or 5 licking branches.. I need to be hunting it right after this rain, and see what comes in and freshens it up..

I'm hunting on a place that trail cams are showing bucks still running together also.. There's 4 nice bucks, one might go 145ish.. Just need a hot doe to lead him by my stand here in a couple weeks!!

ai265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_1287323449457imagejpeg_2.jpg

[

Thats a nice buck! Hope you get a shot at him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom