More murders in tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being fairly naive about Tulsa- Visited several times for nightlife, concerts, etc.. What's the deal with the violence?

From the casual headlines scanning, it seems like there are more violent crimes in Tulsa than in OKC. Probably not so, but that's what I get from headlines.

Demographics an issue? Gangs? Drug dealers?

I'm sure the cops in that area take it seriously, but does the city Govt. and DA's office support their efforts?

It's got to affect everything from real estate values to corporate interest in moving to or staying in Tulsa= Jobs lost.

A Tulsa cop told me it was worse because of the hard criminals from New Orleans that relocated here after Katrina. They are teaching our welfare recipients in north Tulsa how to be OG. My wife teaches school in the north and she claims there are only about 5% of her students that have an active father. The kids get no sleep (on the couch) because the mother is partying with her boyfrind all night. 1/3 of her class is asleep at any given time. It's a culture that the Mothers teach their 4-6 children and the "culture" spreads.

Waterfowler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's going to be challenging for society to curb a culture that is being fostered in the home at such a young age, and to add the peer pressures of ones demographic location. Almost sounds like a losing battle.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
urrrr.... that's not quite true.

look at all the home invasions that happen in South Tulsa, North Tulsa and all over.

now the drive by shootings... I'd have to agree. they happen almost always in North Tulsa. would not recommend anyone to visit North Tulsa late at night. especially near popular hangouts like late night restaurants.

folks that grew up in North Tulsa naturally want to live where they grew up. don't get me wrong, I grew up in South Tulsa and have no desire to live North. but just because someone does... doesn't make it wrong.

Anyone who appreciates life move out of North Tulsa. It seems like anytime there is news in Tulsa, its in North Tulsa.

QUOTE]

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
North Tulsa Shooting

@ December 27, 2010 4:51 PM

(Tulsa, Ok) -- An argument, apparently over a woman, leads to a shooting. It happened Monday afternoon, at the U-Stop convenience store near Mohawk and Lewis.

Tulsa Police Corporal Phil Snow says witnesses reported seeing two men fighting. Then...one of the guys pulled out a pistol and squeezed off numerous shots...striking the victim four or five times in the lower body.

The victim was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read in the newspaper that burglaries in Tulsa increased by 40.9% this year (based on FBI statistics). Hmmmmm. I'm not a huge believer in statistics, but that doesn't sound good.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
12/29/2010

A man was fatally shot Wednesday morning after an altercation between the alleged shooter and the victim involving the shooter's wife, police said.

The victim, a man in his 20s, was shot in the head following an ongoing problem police are trying to figure out but apparently revolved around a relationship between the victim and the alleged shooter's wife, said Capt. Shawn King.

Police were dispatched to the 1300 block of North Allegheny Avenue about 4:30 a.m. when they found the victim dead, King said.

The alleged shooter, a 30-year-old male, and his wife were taken into custody for questioning without incident when police arrived, he said.

A neighbor who witnessed the shooting apparently intervened with his own gun after the shooting and confronted the shooter before police arrived, King said. No one else was injured.

King said investigators are trying to figure out the details that led to the shooting, but it appears there was an ongoing problem between the victim and the alleged shooter involving his wife.

The alleged shooter and the victim apparently fought prior to the shooting, he said.

Police recovered about five shell casings from a semi-automatic gun apparently used in the shooting, King said.

Police were unable to identify any of the people involved pending investigation and notification of family.

Waterfowler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember the crime rates increasing after Tulsa reduced the number of officers they had. I was curious if Tulsa has reinstated the number they have on their force to try and combat the rising statistics?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember the crime rates increasing after Tulsa reduced the number of officers they had. I was curious if Tulsa has reinstated the number they have on their force to try and combat the rising statistics?

I would certainly hope that someone sees the same trend we are all discussing and have a look at staff levels at local PD's. Especially in the areas that seem to be affected more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom