Morel hunting 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried to move some closer to home?

Transplanting a shovel-full of dirt (including one or two morels) in a moist, shady area with rotting vegetation (or aged compost?) should get the spores started.

Just a thought. :drunk2:
You can buy logs with the spores and grow them in a closet with instructions, but they are pretty pricey and don't produce many Morels.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess they are tough to "farm". I wouldn't think they'd fetch such a good price if they could be "farmed". I'm glad I found a few spots around here for the wife cuz she likes em well enough to buy em if she can't find em. She grew up in Missouri with lots of em.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess they are tough to "farm". I wouldn't think they'd fetch such a good price if they could be "farmed". I'm glad I found a few spots around here for the wife cuz she likes em well enough to buy em if she can't find em. She grew up in Missouri with lots of em.

I like em, just not enough to farm them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to have a little male Miniature Pinscher. Even though as he got older he couldn't see well, his sense of smell was great. They weren't Morels, but he could smell a mushroom/toadstool/whatever before it even broke the top of the ground. We'd see him digging in the dirt, and sure enough there one would be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom