Mosin M44

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a few things right now to add to what I've already got. My interests seem to change yearly, and I should probably seek counseling.

So, anyway I'm looking for an M44 as noted above, and I've got some questions. If you guys could be so kind to lend your expertise, I'd appreciate it greatly.

What should I be looking for?

What should I stay away from?

Where should I concentrate my search?

Given that the condition will probably make a difference, what is a fair price range?

Am I missing anything?

Any other tidbits of info you would like to share, would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What should I be looking for?
M44

What should I stay away from?
Rifles that are NOT M44.

Where should I concentrate my search?
Gunbroker and here ... I just listed a primo 1947 ... too bad it's already sold.

Given that the condition will probably make a difference, what is a fair price range?
$175-$300 depending on condition, rarety etc

Am I missing anything?
I guess, M44 in your collection.

Any other tidbits of info you would like to share, would also be appreciated.
Thanks!

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/russian-m44-carbine.asp

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
there is an M44 at extra cash pawn at hefner and may. you can call, but they don't know jack about guns and the one guy that did has left. price was 249, but hey, its a pawn shop. shoot em an offer

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found one, maybe. Ran into an older gentleman in a small gun shop today, he didn't work there, but apparently hangs out there quite a bit. I browsed around, and then asked if they ever saw any come in. One of the guys working there said they see some 91/30's from time to time, but didn't see many M44's. The other guy spoke up and said he had one, and had really enjoyed it, but he was getting to old to shoot it. I asked, joking, if he'd be interested in selling it, and he said, "yeah, I would". I asked him a few questions, and asked if he thought he could part with it for a couple hundred, and he agreed. I about fell over. I'm gonna meet him back there in two weeks, give it a look, and he said if I wanted it, he'd toss in about 100 rounds of ammo with it.

I'm gonna give it a look, and see what I think, but it's probably gonna have to be pretty rough for me to pass.

Any how, I thought I'd pass that along. I'm gonna read up on them as much as possible before I go back to look at the gun, but again, anything in particular I should be looking for, good or bad? I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Old dudes rule!

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently I've caught the fever.

I'm finding myself Jonesin' for an M38 now.

I've read up a little on both thanks to the links posted above (thanks guys), I don't see a ton of difference with the exception of the large sewing needle attached to the front of the M44. They appear to be the same rifle. I think I've read where the M44 was designed to be shot with the bayonet extended, something to do with muzzle vibrations, and it's accuracy was spotty with out it stuck out there. Anyone have experience with that?

The same gentleman I spoke with about the M44 said he had a M38, and I might just see if I can't acquire both.

I can't see ever getting rid of them, but once I own them I might see if I couldn't meet up with one of you guys that know these rifles pretty well to have you look them over just to see how I made out.

Thanks again fellas, I appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom