Most Common Gun for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people who would know are gun store owners/employees and firearms instructors and maybe police officers. The rest of the people posting are just guessing.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger LCR snub .38 and while it is excellent as far as concealment,... I can't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I know several people that carry these and assume they are the most popular to carry,... but not for me.

Champion size 1911 for me. I have zero confidence I will hit my target with the LCR and positive that the 1911 will.

I guess a snubbie or some sort of .380 like the PPK or Kel-Tek models are the most 'purchased' for concealed carry.

Spend some quality time with your LCR. If you learn how to shoot that revolver your accuracy in the "contact" to 10 yard realm will mimic what you can do with a 1911. And "contact" out to about 25 feet is where most defensive shooting happens.

We shoot "defensive" pistols at Heartland twice a month.... I rotate a 1911, K frame SW and a J frame Smith... hits and misses? Accuracy wise - not much difference, but if a stage has some tiny targets (like post it notes) the edge goes to the 1911 for me....on the "picture targets -- it's a wash. We toss in a few stages with longer shots... and those can be made with a snubby, but you have to work at it.

It's always the Indian...not the arrow.

About the only thing you give up on a revolver is the ability to re-load fast... and that reload speed can be pretty quick with a little practice.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The people who would know are gun store owners/employees and firearms instructors and maybe police officers. The rest of the people posting are just guessing.

How do any of those you listed have a statistically more significant sample of what is actually being carried than the rest of us?

Store owners: what is being sold is not automatically carried

Instructors: people often don't shoot what they carry at classes. For example, I've run my glocks and a 1911 in class more than my P3AT, but more often throw the P3AT in my pocket. Training fail on my part, yup. But it's reality.

Cops: How many actually come across legally armed citizens and actually inspect what they are carrying, and how often does that occur.

They are guessing too....which was the intent of the OP.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one I like to throw in the pocket if I cant strap on a 9 or 45, would you volunteer to be shot with one?

No. But I wouldn't volunteer for you to throw a rock at me either. And IF I was a bad guy determined to do you serious harm (as in a pop a cap in/on yo ass); I do question whether either your puny .25 or your well-aimed rock would be enough to sufficiently deter me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom