Motorcycle help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had my MC license prior to having a license to drive a car.

Same here. And when I turned 16 I was in no real hurry to get my driver's license. Didn't need one since it was late spring and good riding weather.

My dad, brother, and I had a 3 way partnership on a 1980 Honda XL125 that was kept in excellent condition. Sure wish I still had that bike.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got back into riding 2 yrs ago and it lasted about a month until I almost got creamed at 5am on empty streets by a chick txting/driving.

Sold my bike the following week...

I say get at least a 600 and just take her easy for a while until you got the feel for it.

Stay safe!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I was at the local Victory dealer a couple months ago, here in Ltown.
I was impressed , to say the least...several models.
Of course the one I sat on was a 1600cc I believe, like sittin in a recliner.
As soon as myaxx hit the seat ...my wallet fell out.
Dont know if that was a good thing or not, it was Saweet....but alas Wifey said ...not now, sell the boat and you can work on gettin the scooter...sure you dont want a '07 21' Party barge...LOL
Good Luck on your search
ps: shes worried about the "other" traffic as well

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Wifey, you did not give enough information.
Do you want something for transportation or do you want something for an adrenaline rush? This decision makes a big difference, actually the only difference in what we can give you an opinion of what we would suggest to purchase.

For me at 13yrs old, a gas and go Cushman at 35 MPH was a rush.
At 25trs old, a 1972 Kawasaki 3cy H2 on the back tire at 100 was a rush.
Now most of the time, 70 down the highway on a GoldWing is fine with me. (I still have an H2 when I need the rush)

OK, just an opinion. Been riding 51 years, only 64 ys old at this time, riding a Gold Wing because I do not ride in town much anymore. I own MC number 43 at this time (no Harley's to date). I heard the most common accessory for a Harley was a pick up truck. Ha Ha

1. if you are street riding in town, get something big enough to get out of the way if needed , like some other posters noted, too much power is in your hands, be sure you have enough twist to exceed the edge of what you can handle) I just had a flash thought of a Boss Hoss, (look them up) which might be next for me, Sh Man Mo fu motorcycle. (I am a chevy guy) A 250 rocket will be like going to a strip joint the first time, surprising, but not too satisfying after a while.

2 if you are going to be riding double at times, get something bigger. They will not want to ride with you after a short while. (what is that term, butt hurt?)

3 Crotch rockets are for fun, but not for everyday comfort. I owned the 2nd real original crotch rocket sold in Tulsa. (1972 Kawasaki 750 3cy) Tire burner, 100mph wheelies most times out. Very fun in it's day. Today, direct to jail.

4 Too big is not fun in town, (Goldwing Honda now) hate driving in Tulsa traffic double. Riding double even on a GW is a significant difference.

5 Bell helmets meet all the specs and are reasonably priced.

Good luck with finding what works for you.

I personally will not get on a dirt bike in my front yard without a helmet. However, I came closer to having accidents back years ago when Oklahoma had a mandatory street helmet law. Restricts my wide perifical vision and attenuates my hearing. This is a personal preference, along with the fact that I am usually riding above 30 mph, which usually negates any help a helmet might give. Again, personal preference.

To me, the number one thing to keep in mind if you are riding a MC is that -- when you ride a motorcycle, "YOU BECOME INVISIBLE" and have to work around that to survive. If you have any doubts, think about this. People pull out in front of trains, trucks, buses, other cars, etc. Just because they look your way, what does that have to do with them seeing you or computing where you will be when they pull out and use up space on the road you are headed for?

Good luck and happy riding.

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lots of folks get into riding on 250's to get the feel of the bike, used to traffic, and generally get comfortable riding. It's the smart thing to do, instead of getting hurt or killed on a bike you can't handle. No reason to try to make the 250 go faster, it's wasted money, let the 14-16 year olds try to make them go fast. The resale on them stays pretty high for the very reason that smart folks are buying them to get into riding.

my first crotch rocket was/is a 1000. they only go as fast as you want them too.with great power comes great responsibility. lol

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question I didn't see asked is what kind of riding do you want to do? Commute to work, around town, multi day trips?

I've had a few bikes over the years and in the last few years I've changed my focus on riding. I've done my time on 1000cc sportbikes, VFRs, 990cc Big trailies, and now only own a WR250R (street legal from the factory dirtbike). the little 250 is more fun around town than any other bike I've ridden, has more than enough power to "get out of its own way" runs down the highway ALL DAY at 75, and gets 60+ MPG.

I've rode every bike I've owned on long trips and have had more fun on the "little 250" than any of the others. Sure there's something to be said for the feeling of wicking on the throttle and seeing the needle swing well into the triple digits, but once your brain kicks back in you realize how dangerous and expensive that is!

This thread has turned into the typical Ford vs Chevy, Import vs Domestic, OU vs OSU thead, let us know how you want to ride and we might be able to help point you towards a specific selections

halfway through a planned 9 day ride across CO and UT, (got cut short due to a buddies slow speed get off)
gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_J9xTpM2_0_XL_i_J9xTpM2_XL.jpg

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that case, like Bettingpython said, you can't go wrong with a nice used VFR. plenty fast, really comfortable, passengers can ride in relative comfort as well, great V-4 sound!!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my first crotch rocket was/is a 1000. they only go as fast as you want them too.with great power comes great responsibility. lol

Good for you, mine was a 750, bought it crashed, the guy eventually died. The stats on new(er) bike riders in crashes that produce significant injury and even death are alarming.

The thing most folks don't get about motorcycles is that it is not IF, it is WHEN you will have a crash, and what you have done to prepare yourself for it. Some folks like yourself have natural ability and confidence, others don't. It's kind of like the scenario I see at the range every time I go, some guy has his wife/GF/SO shooting a pistol that is way to large for them to comfortably handle, they aren't having fun at all. I get involved, put a nice .22 in their hands and they have a blast. Bikes are similar, start with the right size that you are comfortable with, and can have fun on, one size does not fit all, ride a few, see what fits you best right now, and know that like everything it will change over time.

Based on the responses sounds like the OP is on the right track.

Latest posts

Top Bottom