Motorcycle help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could reccomend the the Honda 1100 Shadow, I'm 5' 6" tall and had no problem touching the ground and controlling it. I also hadn't rode since the early 70's and I took the MSF riders course and was pleased with the info, tips and training course those two instructors gave us. I rode for about two years before giving up because of a numb fingers/hands problem. Couldn't ride more than 20-40 minutes without having to stop and rest my frigging hands. Sold off the Honda for $5000. Paid $6500 for it up in Bartellsville, their dealership beat the 21 & Yale store by something like $500. The ongoing construction, detours and rough roads in Tulsa made riding quite the adventure. I wore a full face helmut, gloves and armored jacket always, although it was hot when stopped in traffic and detracted from the "free" feeling for me. It made an impression on me in the riders class when someone asked the instructor, "how much protection is needed?" he replied, "protect whatever you want to keep". I thought to myself, Jeez, I like my legs but I don't want to wear a suit of armor. I tried to to keep my attention (and head) on a swivel.

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
crotch rocket. you want a 600 or bigger with inline 4. cruiser you want 1500 or bigger.
250's are too slow/hard to find go-fast parts for in my opinion. and big crotch rockets are easy to lower and don't weigh much. cruisers have a lower seat but weight 2-400 lbs more. I went from a Honda fury 1300,traded that for a zx10 crotchrocket and I don't really miss that Honda very much at all.lol

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure miss all the good dual-sport bikes of the 70s and 80s. At that time Honda made DS bikes from 80cc all the way up to 500cc with all sorts of choices in between. Nowadays, DS bikes have just about dropped off the radar screen.

Suzuki still has the midrange DRZ400 and Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki make 650cc DS bikes. The KLR can be a great bike for some adventure riding.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the deep country side of Tulsa at 31st and Garnet in the 70's riding bikes. Own a Harley Heritage soft tail now. It's a low seat cruiser for me and my Babe. Works all the time with almost no maintenance. Oil is easy to change too. I take it to the dealer and say "change the oil please." :)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
crotch rocket. you want a 600 or bigger with inline 4. cruiser you want 1500 or bigger.
250's are too slow/hard to find go-fast parts for in my opinion. and big crotch rockets are easy to lower and don't weigh much. cruisers have a lower seat but weight 2-400 lbs more. I went from a Honda fury 1300,traded that for a zx10 crotchrocket and I don't really miss that Honda very much at all.lol

Lots of folks get into riding on 250's to get the feel of the bike, used to traffic, and generally get comfortable riding. It's the smart thing to do, instead of getting hurt or killed on a bike you can't handle. No reason to try to make the 250 go faster, it's wasted money, let the 14-16 year olds try to make them go fast. The resale on them stays pretty high for the very reason that smart folks are buying them to get into riding.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of folks get into riding on 250's to get the feel of the bike, used to traffic, and generally get comfortable riding. It's the smart thing to do, instead of getting hurt or killed on a bike you can't handle. No reason to try to make the 250 go faster, it's wasted money, let the 14-16 year olds try to make them go fast. The resale on them stays pretty high for the very reason that smart folks are buying them to get into riding.

Agree with Shoot Summ.

OKCIS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get whatever size you want the power output is determined by you and you only. You wont die from the power of a 1000 if you have throttle control. The bike doesnt go wide open on its own. Buying a 250 just puts you in a bike that you will want to sell and get something bigger within 6 months tops. Buy a gsx-r 750 and youll never want another bike again. Kinda like i told my son when he first got on his 85 from a 65. I said you cant run this bike wide open like you do the smaller bike only twist the throttle to the level your comfortable with and he did great with it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that loves riding his Hyosung GV250 around town and he's owned it for much longer than 6 months. He also owns a few larger bikes, too. Mostly it depends on where he's going that determines what he'll be riding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom