Motorcycle help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been stationed in Biloxi in the mid seventies, should give you a ball park idea. :-)

I would love to have a 100 hp Monster S4, but I don't think that's in my best interest!

I have a 100 HP R6 and it needs more go fast. The Ninja 250s are AMAZING machines if a light sportbike is what you're wanting. Honda also has a 250 out now, but it might be hard to find used. Don't take this the wrong way, but how much do you weigh? If you're anywhere north of 175 lb, I would say check out some 500 cc bikes or maybe something like the Kawasaki Ninja 650R(the little brother to the ZX6r) or a Yamaha FZ6r(the R6's little brother) Both are great bikes that are easy to ride, not too powerful, but they can still keep up in the twisties. I'm only recommending sportbikes because that's all I really know. I'm sure one of these other guys will fill you in on the cruiser info. It doesn't matter if it's a sportbike/cruiser/enduro as long as you're riding.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure where I want to start. Biggest I've ridden is a 550, but that was 30 something years ago. I kind of have a bug right now and don't now exactly how to squash it. Just looking for opinions, and like you say I would probably wish for a bigger motor real quick.

If you have your motorcycle endorsement, you might be able to test ride several to get a feel of what's out there. I saw a Victory Jackpot on CL from Lawton for around $4Ksomething. Great bike, low seat height and controllable power. Worth a look? A 250cc bike is going to get boring quickly.

Look into the MSF courses. There's a recent thread on the subject. Money and time well spent.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd look at the 600cc and larger cruisers. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki all make cruisers in the 600 to 1100 cc range. I tip the scales at 240 and rode a Yamaha Vstar 650 for 5 or 6 years before upgrading to my present ride, a Honda VTX 1300.
Unfortunately I know nothing about crotch rocket / sport bikes, except the one time I rode my sons, it was very uncomfortable. But I'm OLD!

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ridden one since I was stationed in Biloxi in the mid 70's.

They didn't have cell phones in the 70's.....

I started on a bike. Had my MC license prior to having a license to drive a car. The trooper even asked me "Why don't you just wait the six months and get your license?" I told him it was "Because I don't own a car, and I need a license to operate this thing now." haha

Anyway, after not riding for many many years, when I got back on two wheels a few years ago, it was terrifying! And still is! These people with one hand on the wheel and the other on their phone and their mind on anything but driving, absolutely do not care whether or not you are there. If they need to get over - they are coming over.

Just something else for you to consider, man....

p.s.
Sadly, one thing that hasn't changed since the 70's..."I didn't see him, Officer" still keeps 'em out of jail most of the time. :pissed:

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to take the MSF class first and then start looking at bikes. My problem is I'm 6'5" so I'm going to have to do a lot of looking to find a "starter" bike that fits somewhat. I'm more of a cruiser guy, I think. Always love Harleys, but have always had a soft spot for Triumphs and cafe racers. I'm probably looking at sv 650 or similar to start. Good luck.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyway, after not riding for many many years, when I got back on two wheels a few years ago, it was terrifying! And still is! These people with one hand on the wheel and the other on their phone and their mind on anything but driving, absolutely do not care whether or not you are there. If they need to get over - they are coming over.

This is what comes to mind every time I think about starting on a street bike. Especially all those texters - not a CLUE what's going on around them because they're too busy lol'ing at some stupid thing their buddy texted to them. The urge to ride goes away pretty quickly.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 5'6" my wife had no problem with her CBR600 or my 954rr. Go ahead and look at the 600's if you really want a sport bike, you will outgrow that 250 pretty fast. But that honda 250rr is pretty sweet.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First machine I ever owned was a 650. Bought it a couple years ago. Shortly thereafter I added a 750 to the stable. . .and just recently sold the 650 and picked up a 1200.

Started with a dual sport, then to a full blown touring machine, then to a sport-touring machine.

See where this is going?

I ride to work almost every day so something with good wind protection is high on my list, at least in winter. . .in the summer you want to be hanging out in the wind!

Latest posts

Top Bottom