MSRP $2200 asking $3200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to Wal-mart and buying up the ammo. I am keeping mine however. :)

Even without a ban I don't see prices going back down to Pre-Dec 14 pricing. Basically, all the people buying at these inflated prices are 'revaluing' it higher. If I bought an $1500 AR for example, I would never sell it under $1000, even if it used to be a $750 gun. And the guy who bought at $1500, when he sees someone selling for $1000, now to him, thats a great deal, so he is a buyer at that price, even though its 'high' to us.

Unless there becomes a huge supply surplus, I dont see things changing.

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that all these AR's are still going up, up, up. Just a few days ago everybody thought it was crazy seeing $1500 AR's on Armslist. Today they are more like $2000 and apparently the same price at the OKC Gunshow.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that I won't know when the product will arrive when it's on backorder, but they are receiving shipments with estimated delivery dates within the month. Might it take longer? Sure.

As far as letting the last items of stock go at the market value, well it was priced at market value when you bought it and put it on the shelves, right? It's still market value, except you want to profit from panic by raising the on-hand value. This is where I can see a couple of dollars, but doubling the price just doesn't seem right. There are shops out there who are still selling at the normal rates, so isn't that market value? How do you make the determination of market value? Because 1 guy will pay $50 for a mag, or because you can get 10 people to buy them for $20? You're free to do what you want to do, I'm just basing my thoughts off my own morals, and I try to be fair in everything I do. Capitalizing off fear simply doesn't sit right with me. I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree.

What I find really funny is that I've seen there is no shortages with regard to over priced stuff. On here there are no less than 50 P MAGS priced double (or more) than MSRP. I'd hazard a guess these were guys who ran out and bought as many as they could only to resell them at an inflated (they are all new in packaging). I don't think it's the average joe going out to buy a rifle and a mag or two causing the panic. It's guys who are intentionally trying to rake people over the coals who are doing it. Certainly if there was a true shortage you'd only see one or two. I think that if they sit long enough, these guys who needed to clear the shelves even though they didn't need the product may realize that their prices really are a little high.

My argument is simple. If you absolutely need it, pay the price you're willing to pay. If you don't need it, then sit tight and wait. Things will simmer down. Pay attention to those who are capitalizing off fear, and be wary of patronizing them in the future. That's what I'm doing.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree that I won't know when the product will arrive when it's on backorder, but they are receiving shipments with estimated delivery dates within the month. Might it take longer? Sure.

As far as letting the last items of stock go at the market value, well it was priced at market value when you bought it and put it on the shelves, right? It's still market value, except you want to profit from panic by raising the on-hand value. This is where I can see a couple of dollars, but doubling the price just doesn't seem right. There are shops out there who are still selling at the normal rates, so isn't that market value? How do you make the determination of market value? Because 1 guy will pay $50 for a mag, or because you can get 10 people to buy them for $20? You're free to do what you want to do, I'm just basing my thoughts off my own morals, and I try to be fair in everything I do. Capitalizing off fear simply doesn't sit right with me. I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree.

What I find really funny is that I've seen there is no shortages with regard to over priced stuff. On here there are no less than 50 P MAGS priced double (or more) than MSRP. I'd hazard a guess these were guys who ran out and bought as many as they could only to resell them at an inflated (they are all new in packaging). I don't think it's the average joe going out to buy a rifle and a mag or two causing the panic. It's guys who are intentionally trying to rake people over the coals who are doing it. Certainly if there was a true shortage you'd only see one or two. I think that if they sit long enough, these guys who needed to clear the shelves even though they didn't need the product may realize that their prices really are a little high.

My argument is simple. If you absolutely need it, pay the price you're willing to pay. If you don't need it, then sit tight and wait. Things will simmer down. Pay attention to those who are capitalizing off fear, and be wary of patronizing them in the future. That's what I'm doing.

Agreed.

I like the excuse, "If I sell my AR for less than they are going for now, how can I replace it"

Ummm....why sell it if you are going to have to replace it? Unless you're just trying to capitalize off a tragedy.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Market value and what the market will bear are two entirely different things, and I think there is some confusion there. As I understand it market value is a fair price based off wholesale purchase price, retail price, and of course supply and demand. What the market will bear is the max that someone will pay for something before you've out priced yourself. That's what I don't agree with. People charging the max they can charge just because someone will pay it just doesn't seem right.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked at what happened to the false market value in the home market. I deal in it everyday and saw back as early as 2006 that when the rebuild value on a home was 100's of thousand less than the so called market value that a bubble was going to burst and folks were gonna take a hit.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Market value and what the market will bear are two entirely different things, and I think there is some confusion there. As I understand it market value is a fair price based off wholesale purchase price, retail price, and of course supply and demand. What the market will bear is the max that someone will pay for something before you've out priced yourself. That's what I don't agree with. People charging the max they can charge just because someone will pay it just doesn't seem right.

Almost no one sells a house without using that very approach. You are not "Entitled" to a price a seller doesn't want to agree to. Dishonesty is the only "Not right" thing to bring into a transaction. Misrepresenting an item or not honoring a committment are "Not Right" things.

It is my opinion that calling a high price or a low offer "Not Right" is "Not Right". You have not been insulted or wronged in any way. Just say "No Thanks" or "Thank You for the offer but no thanks".

Technically what is funny is the elasticity of demand differences among the communites of regular gun people and the newbies that wash in on a wave of fear. We regular gun people are a tight bunch when it comes to our money. We re-load, pick up brass and compare costs almost endlessly. All of a sudden these new people come in and they are not that hung up on saving the nickles we fret over. Here is my money give it to me!!! Sends all of us right into sticker shock :)

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, mostly, but I'm still "Not Right". I'm just against people taking advantage of others who may not know they are being taken advantage of. Like I said early on, I don't flag anything. I simply don't patronize them, and recommend that people who ask my opinion steer clear of them. In the end it may not matter, but as my friends and I spend a bit of our expendable income on this stuff it's quite possible it will impact them.

It definitely sends me into sticker shock when I see someone trying to sell a $110 lower for $4-500. It's just not going to happen with this old boy. I'm still in the market, but I'll wait or not get them at all.

Almost no one sells a house without using that very approach. You are not "Entitled" to a price a seller doesn't want to agree to. Dishonesty is the only "Not right" thing to bring into a transaction. Misrepresenting an item or not honoring a committment are "Not Right" things.

It is my opinion that calling a high price or a low offer "Not Right" is "Not Right". You have not been insulted or wronged in any way. Just say "No Thanks" or "Thank You for the offer but no thanks".

Technically what is funny is the elasticity of demand differences among the communites of regular gun people and the newbies that wash in on a wave of fear. We regular gun people are a tight bunch when it comes to our money. We re-load, pick up brass and compare costs almost endlessly. All of a sudden these new people come in and they are not that hung up on saving the nickles we fret over. Here is my money give it to me!!! Sends all of us right into sticker shock :)

mdm.gunbroker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One sure way to keep "profiteers" off OSA is, don't buy. If someone is too "uneducated" to know a "good deal", they'll learn a lesson if they overpay. Lord knows, I've learned it more than once. Heck, 6 months from now we all may wish we would've bought 10 AR-15's at $2K each. Market could be $3K by then, or simply unattainable! I agree, the spirit of this forum is to help each other and trade fairly. In any forum, I know when I've "overpriced" something...nobody responds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom