Muzzleloaders...let's see them folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured I'd get some muzzleloader talk going here...let's see what everyone is shooting. Here's a pic of some that have sent many critters to their maker. Top one is a Lyman in .50 caliber, middle is the Pedersoli in .54 caliber and the bottom is my favorite...a little .40 caliber flintlock longrifle and it is a shooter for sure. :wink2:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can't find any photos of my muzzleloader, oddly enough, but it's a Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum in 50 cal. It's a Hawken style and can be finicky to get going at the start of the season, but she shoot dead to rights once you get her to wake up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No pics handy, have a .45 and .50 flintlock, a .50 cal CVA kit percussion rifle that my dad built with serial # 000010 lol. A T/C inline, and Knight inline and a Savage smokeless which is what I use most of the time. Forgot about my shotgun until Hoddy posted his lol.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150410_183623_zpsxtqfrwew.jpg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a CVA Bobcat I paid 55 bucks for new at wally-world Punches you right in the cheek when you shoot it.
I drilled and tapped it myself for scope mounts. Kicked to hard and scopes would loose their guts.
I gave up and went back to iron sights.
Here it is with scope.
i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_goodiebox005.jpg

Here is the mold I made to mimic the Power Belt 295gr bullet.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_insertmold001.jpg

Here is the bullet of mine on the left and one fired and mushroomed out in front of it . My alloy is a bit harder. but still mushes a bit.
The middle one is a Power Belt with a lead tip inserted into the Hollow Point. Keeps more retained weight when passing through than the regular Hollow Point.
Which the regular when pushed fast will fragment .. the insert in the tip eliminates that. Notice the lead tips next to my mold.
Yes I cast the tips also.

I made these tips years ago as a friend that tests ammo and tested Powerbelts many years ago for the company was fragmenting them when pushed fast.. he made tips and it solved the issue.
Shortly after that The bullets were now offered in tipped versions with the green plastic tip insert.
Cool stuff.
I shoot them with 90gr Pyrodex.. that seems to be the very top end in the 295gr HP for half way holding together. And it is very accurate in my gun.. that is very important, as we know.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_bb.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Completely forgot about my shotgun. You find some slugs to fit?

What load you have in mind for that shotgun, Dennis?
Its been so hetic lately I haven't had time to get back into it. Hopefully before MZ season is over. I had planned to use a 1oz forester slug that had been cut out of a federal low recoil round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom