My Aching Back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i didn't have upper body strength i'd be immobile now, have to pull or push myself up, make sure i've got my legs under me, and shuffle around. this getting old sucks. i'll look into one of those tables, a tens unit would likely be good as well. icy-hot has become my new cologne LOL
That's kinda what I figured, you'd have little problem getting a table upright, even if you were on your head. I don't recline mine that far as I simply don't trust the ankle holds to bear the weight of my entire carcass.

I bought an Ironman from Walmart, it was pretty robust and nicely made, was surprised at the quality.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been seeing a chiropractor there in Edmond for 30 years and hes golden. If you'd like to get his input, I can give you his number. Its worth a visit to see what he has to say. A very smart man.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been seeing a chiropractor there in Edmond for 30 years and hes golden. If you'd like to get his input, I can give you his number. Its worth a visit to see what he has to say. A very smart man.

sure, i'd appreciate it. but right now my plan is:

1. try the inversion table
2. VA appointment on July 3, it will take them a year or more to finally realize what i'm telling them is truth, so it's my annual physical anyway and i'll bring it up and see what comes of it
3. accupunture
4. chiropractor (only last because one of those guys put my dad in the hospital for a week after an adjustment for a bad back)

and i always have my self medicating method as a final resort

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've met lasher, so I know him personally. He's good people. I agree, the inversion table is something to try, lasher, I've seen lots of folks your age who use it - they don't like it, and have complained it's a nuisance, but several have had results that allow them to live a better lifestyle.

I also know the V.A. will send you all the pain medicine you want if it saves them the money of having to shell out for surgery and wait you out until you die. Sad, but true.

Look around for surgeons who specialize in "minimally invasive" back surgery as well as "micro-discectomy" and similar. I know you're in OKC, but my recommendation in the Tulsa area is Dr. Clinton Baird - just for anyone else who may be suffering.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you set it up right, you wont tilt completely over, so returning to the upright position is easier.

as weird as it will sound, find a good pilates instructor/class. Most are the same exercises they give you in PT, but (for me) having the class to go to means that i do the exercises more regularly and push myself to get a stronger core. It's made a world of difference.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4. chiropractor (only last because one of those guys put my dad in the hospital for a week after an adjustment for a bad back)
Some are quacks, like any other profession but this one is not. I have seen people come in with walkers or wheelchairs and weeks later they walked in. I've experienced lower back issues all my life and when I feel it tweeking, I go right in and he brings relief.
Names Dwayne Hanson (Hanson chiropractic) Google it for address there in Edmond. He's not expensive either. $25 bucks each time I walk in.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using opiates for chronic pain is problematic. They cause inflammation that actually increases pain with long term use. My (MD) wife has explained it to me, but I can't remember the specific mechanism. She works to get people slowly off from opiates, and their pain decreases.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't gobble them like candy. i cut the 15's in half and only use when absolutely necessary. i re-injured myself about 5 weeks ago, so far i've used exactly 3 of the 15's. i take 1/2 when absolutely needed, makes me feel better for a few days, the muscles turn loose and stop the spasms. only when i can no longer stand up straight and have to walk bent forward from the waist a few degrees,,,it's time

Latest posts

Top Bottom