My butt sweat is rusting my Kahr...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hahaha. Okay, okay. My waste sweat is rusting my gun... better?

It's not the time, it's just that I didn't think it needed it. The leather of my Crossbreed holster keeps most of it away, but I guess enough is getting through to cause some problems. I'm definitely gonna start wiping it down when I take it off now.

Sorry ... I couldn't resist making a CRACK. Not often one reads about toxic butt (or "waste") sweat melting the finish off of a firearm.

General rule, if you have a gun in a holster you want to wipe it down every night. Yeah ... I know that is a little ANAL but it will benefit the finish of your pistol.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, not really. I believe waste sweat would still be in the crack vicinity.

I think the word you might be struggling for is waist.

:)

Hahaha, yeah, realized and fixed that one too late...

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_facepalm.jpg

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My butt sweat is rusting my Kahr. :cry11::scream:

Nothing too major, just two little spots. The solvent cleaned the majority of it off but there's still a little.

How would I remove what's left and is there anything I can do short of wiping it off after every wear?

To remove the little rust that is left, get some 0000 steel wool, oil it generously and wipe it gently (sorry, couldn't resist). Might leave a few small hairy clingons (sorry again) so make sure to clean them off (yeah). Then treat is with a good rust preventative and wipe it down (OK no more)after every time you wear it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Must be a bunch of bored people making CRACKS in here on a Friday...I'm gonna go to the range and CRACk off some rounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The leather of my Crossbreed holster keeps most of it away, but I guess enough is getting through to cause some problems.

Here is my disclaimer: I don't know if this is a fact or not. Just repeating some info from a person that is extremely knowlegeble about guns and chemistry. He has a PHD in chemistry.

His claim is that leather is tanned using tannic acid, not all of which is removed when it is finished. Guns stored in leather holsters that can become damp with sweat or high humidity, stand a better chance of causing rust in a gun than guns carried in snythetic holsters.

His comments, not mine.
0000 steel wool and a little gun oil will remove rust and not hurt the blueing, Ive been told. Just don't rub too hard and too long.

BTW, my Keltec is in my front pocket every day in a Desantis synthetic pocket holster, and I do not wipe it down daily, and it has no rust. I did treat it with silicon spray a year or so ago.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His claim is that leather is tanned using tannic acid, not all of which is removed when it is finished.

I actually hadn't thought about the possibility of the holster accelerating the rusting process. Interesting...

I think I'm just gonna wipe it down after every use and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom