My Cimarron County Speed Goat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my fam took a little trip out to the Oklahoma panhandle a coupla years ago...just because Beaver, Texas and Cimarron are the only three counties I have never been to. I can honestly say that I have been thru all 77 counties now. :respect:

Wow! I was amazed at how many of those damned things there were everywhere. Thicker than hops, I tell ya!

Nice job! :thumb:

Slicktricktj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was on the controlled hunt in Cimarron County. I was able to get pretty close, and take a 140 yard shot. I spent over 4 hours stalking this goat over about 1 square mile area. He had two does and if one of them started getting to far from him, he would round her up just like a cow dog cutting cattle. I watched him breed her twice. I was on my second to last stalk, and she took off so he chased her about 3/4 to a mile away from me. I let them get over a ridge and took my time going to look for them as they had left the other doe closer to me. When I went back around the big hill, I found them standing at the bottom of a huge draw. I couldn't get close enough so I had to go back down and around the windmill ridge. When I came up the back side of it, I could only see his head. The doe saw me and she knew I was on the ridge so I just sat down hoping he would walk to her and give me a shot. While waiting, about 40 head of cow/calves came to me to see what I was doing.

Now when I deer hunt, I hate having cows come in, and felt like my hunt was ruined and I would have to start all over. I could not shoo the cows away and then just circled me. I remembered the old Indian trick of using the buffalo as cover to stalk, so I just stood up in the middle of all these cows and started walking straight at my goat, keeping a cow between me and him. He watched the whole time. When the cow started moving away to where I was out in the open, I just sat down with gun ready. He was still staring in my direction and wouldn't turn broadside. The cows followed me down the hill and circled me again, so I got back up and continued using them as cover, getting even closer to my goat. The cow moved, and I sat down. I could see all of him at 140 yards. I waited just a couple minutes before he finally turned broadside. I let the 120 grain ballistic tip 7mm-08 fly and he took 3 or 4 steps before falling over. Temp was about 90 degrees so I field dressed him, went and got my truck and loaded him up, putting ice in the cavity, and wrapping him in a tarp with another bag of ice on the outside. Went and tagged him and then caped him out and quarted him up in about 2 hours. Meat was cool and smelled very nice. Can't wait to get it back from the processor to try it for the first time.

You guys going to shoot a doe will not have any trouble getting one. Just be patient and be confident in being able to shoot 200-300 yards. The ranch I hunted had a lot of big hills and ridges, but a lot of the area out there is really flat and these things have great eye sight.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great buck! Congrats. I'll be out there with DRC458 and Jeff3C in Oct. chasing a doe. If I can get a couple days off work I might run out there with my bow too.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a call from a friend who harvested a 14" X 14 1/8" goat yesterday. That is one h..l of a trophy.A goat over 13" should have any fella poppin his buttons with pride cause he done 1 fine job of harvesting.:thumb:

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was on the controlled hunt in Cimarron County. I was able to get pretty close, and take a 140 yard shot. I spent over 4 hours stalking this goat over about 1 square mile area. He had two does and if one of them started getting to far from him, he would round her up just like a cow dog cutting cattle. I watched him breed her twice. I was on my second to last stalk, and she took off so he chased her about 3/4 to a mile away from me. I let them get over a ridge and took my time going to look for them as they had left the other doe closer to me. When I went back around the big hill, I found them standing at the bottom of a huge draw. I couldn't get close enough so I had to go back down and around the windmill ridge. When I came up the back side of it, I could only see his head. The doe saw me and she knew I was on the ridge so I just sat down hoping he would walk to her and give me a shot. While waiting, about 40 head of cow/calves came to me to see what I was doing.

Now when I deer hunt, I hate having cows come in, and felt like my hunt was ruined and I would have to start all over. I could not shoo the cows away and then just circled me. I remembered the old Indian trick of using the buffalo as cover to stalk, so I just stood up in the middle of all these cows and started walking straight at my goat, keeping a cow between me and him. He watched the whole time. When the cow started moving away to where I was out in the open, I just sat down with gun ready. He was still staring in my direction and wouldn't turn broadside. The cows followed me down the hill and circled me again, so I got back up and continued using them as cover, getting even closer to my goat. The cow moved, and I sat down. I could see all of him at 140 yards. I waited just a couple minutes before he finally turned broadside. I let the 120 grain ballistic tip 7mm-08 fly and he took 3 or 4 steps before falling over. Temp was about 90 degrees so I field dressed him, went and got my truck and loaded him up, putting ice in the cavity, and wrapping him in a tarp with another bag of ice on the outside. Went and tagged him and then caped him out and quarted him up in about 2 hours. Meat was cool and smelled very nice. Can't wait to get it back from the processor to try it for the first time.

You guys going to shoot a doe will not have any trouble getting one. Just be patient and be confident in being able to shoot 200-300 yards. The ranch I hunted had a lot of big hills and ridges, but a lot of the area out there is really flat and these things have great eye sight.

My heart started racing just reading this. Sounds like a ton of fun!

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congrats and thanks for the details. I get my chance in 22 days when I head to Wyoming for the first time. Never hunted speed goats, but I have two tags and read to give it a try. Great looking buck

Latest posts

Top Bottom