My fully restored WASR-10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, my WASR-10 was my first gun. I was overcharged for a VERY used rifle at the gunshow, but this thing has been and probably always will be my favorite. I replaced the low-quality wood with black polymer, and did everything I could do to make it into the most politically incorrect weapon I could own.

Here's my Kalashnikov about six years ago.
[Broken External Image]

Due to some failed attempts at getting a bayonet lug (by changing the front sight block and gas block...both were critical failures), I ended up with a somewhat trashed barrel. The finish was in horrible condition from the day I bought it, and it had been touched up in with paint to make it look more "sellable."

Well, I wasn't willing to give up on her, so I bought a brand new undrilled Romanian barrel and several replacement components. First I need to comment on the people I got most of the parts from: Legion Arms

Legion Arms sells parts and part kits from various nationalities. Aside from the kits, the parts selection is quite good on Romanian and Yugo models, while the others are very limited (at this time at least). They say the parts are taken off of full-auto military rifles, so they are about as real as it can get. Since the WASR-10 is Romanian made, I wanted to get all Romanian parts, and Legion Arms had them at the best prices I could find.

I ended up ordering the following components:
Barrel Pin (so I wouldn't need to re-use the old one)
Front Sight Block (my original was really messed up)
Muzzle Break Retaining Pin/Spring (since the FSB is sold with only the windage drum/post)
Gas Block (original was messed up and had the bayonet lug filed off. Unacceptable)
Lower Handguard Retainer (orignal had a deep dent in it when I bought it...made it hard to lock into place)
4 FSB/Gas Block Pins (not sure if Honeybee actually used these or not, but thought I should have some just in case)

I already had a brand new US-made muzzle break, so I didn't order one. Would have been nice to have an all-Rommy set, but I'm pretty sure I'm at my limit according to 922.

Legion Arms shipped right away, and I got a tracking number. Which showed me the package was going nowhere. I gave it a week, then when it was way overdue I contacted the sellers. I hoped I hadn't made a mistake ordering from them, and it turns out I didn't.

Apparently the package arrived at the post office, and then, seeing as how the USPS is a government institution, it promptly fell off the planet and dissapeared forever. Legion Arms immediately sent out a second package at no cost, and apologized profusely for the whole situation. The second set of parts arrived two days later, and I was quite pleased. Though the finish on the parts was badly worn, there were hardly any signs of usage aside from minor tool marks. I'm guessing those were from when they were stripped from the original rifles.

Best I know, the USPS still hasn't found the original shipment. Legion Arms said if it does show up someday, to go ahead and keep them for spares.

Everything in hand, I got on this forum to find a local gunsmith who could do everything I needed. Several people pointed me to Honeybee in Tulsa. Of course I got the obligatory "this will cost more than buying a new gun" as well, but I knew that. Sentimental value is a weakness of mine.

So, I talked to him over some PM's, and ended up taking it to him shortly before Christmas. Well, I've had it back for a bit now, and finally got some good photos. Figured it was time for a review of the suppliers and work.

[Broken External Image]

So here we go. Honeybee installed all the components and gave her a black oxide finish. Apparently the original finish was in such bad shape, it started to come off before he even got to the solvents. Now, the metal is actually blacker than the stock set I got.

[Broken External Image]

The whole thing just feels sturdier, and the exterior looks better than brand new.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

The worn finish on the ring of my bayonet will give you an idea of how the new parts looked before Honeybee went to work on them.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

The amazing part is that his prices were extremely reasonable...I would have had no right to expect such good results for the money. Especially after I looked up how much this all would have cost anywhere else.

Overall, parts and labor, the restoration cost me about as much as a brand new WASR-10. Do I feel ripped off? Only when I first bought it ($450 for a terrible condition WASR-10, seven years ago). The restoration was worth every penny, and now she's finally in the condition I wanted her to be in the first place. And though she's a new rifle on the outside, it's still my first gun.

If I ever need anything else, I know two sources that earned my business, and for once didn't screw me (that happens a lot, just so you know):

Legion Arms (http://www.legionarms.com/) for AK parts.
Honeybee (http://www.fransonfirearms.com/) for gunsmithing.

-Jonathan

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet actually. Haven't shot it in almost a year...last time we went to Arizona. We don't know of any place locally where we can shoot anymore.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Because...we used to shoot on a friends land but can't anymore because they got some horses.

I don't know of any outdoor ranges that would be worth the membership costs, since we can't afford to go shooting very often. Restoring this AK was pretty much my firearms budget for the entire year.

I don't really like ranges anyway...I don't like having people looking over my shoulder the whole time (I had a bad experience with that). My uncle in Arizona is so lucky...he just drives out into the mountains south of town and there's a free range, anytime he wants it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom