My time has come

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning with a bow, and had 5 does at 35 yds, but it was brushy and they wouldn't come to my shooting lane. Watched them for about 30 minutes, and they bolted in every direction. Nice 8 point walked up and just stared around, and started eating some of the browse the does were eating. Then he bolted, and a couple of does ran by my stand. never did see what it was, but I'm sure it was another buck.
Don't know if any remember about the buck with a gimp leg I saw last weekend I reported, but he came by today working his scrape line and didn't limp at all.:D
Had a nice buck walk by the shooting lane that had the left side broken off. If it looked like the right, he would have been a 3 1/2 yr old 8 point.
Got hungry and left to get a snack at the truck about noon, and while decocking the crossbow, 6 does came across the pasture, bounding. One stopped right in the vehicle tracks where the grass was low, and stood there. Got it cocked, an arrow loaded, and when I raised to shoot, she took a step and dissapeared. Oh well, thats hunting.:D
Got the 1937 Jap Arisaka loaded in the truck for opening morning.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a doe on opening day of gun season, (pics to follow), and later in the afternoon I was sitting in the stand, and a monster buck came by with his head down sniffing a trail. There was just too much brush between he and I, so I had to let him go. About 5 minutes later, BOOM!
A guy that had never taken a deer got him. 15 points. He will have a hard time topping this in his life. I'll post pics later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturdays doe taken with the .300 savage in the Arisaka action.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0037.jpg

Sundays doe taken at 330 yds with the .243WSSM across a wheatfield.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010044.jpg

Here is the 15 point. A true stud of a buck

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010042.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010043.jpg

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturdays doe taken with the .300 savage in the Arisaka action.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0037.jpg

Sundays doe taken at 330 yds with the .243WSSM across a wheatfield.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010044.jpg

Here is the 15 point. A true stud of a buck

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010042.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010043.jpg

Congtrats, nice buck.

Whats the history on the jap rifle, was it a family members bring back or did you buy it and have it sporterized?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the Jap at a farm auction a year ago for a hundred dollar bill when guns prices were in the stratosphere. I kind of fell in love with the Bishop stock that had some free hand engraving on it. It was an estate sale, and when I buy a gun at one of these I seek out a family member that has a story behind the gun.
I put these stories in a binder along with the s/n and a pic in my file.

The gun was taken in the Pacific after the US invasion of Tininan. Lots of GI's lost their lives there and I hope none was shed with this rifle.

The Grandfather brought it back and had the stock and the .300 savage barrel put on, and did the evgraving himself.(I would have never sold it). The grandson told me that they never could get it to shoot good. This was after I bought it.
I took it to the range, and a 10" group was as good as it gets.
Gave it a good once over, and found the barrel had been shortened by cutting it off with a hacksaw, and they had tried to square it off with a file. Took it to a local gunsmith and had a target crown put on it, and it shot 2" groups with a Weaver K2 scope in 4X. I'm sure with good optics, it would shrink the group, but I'm leaving it on and using it for a short range gun in the woods.:D
With the short barrel, I'm thinking of making it a tractor gun. Working the fields, I always see a coyote, and it would be nice to have something to dismount, and get a shot at it.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010010_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010011.jpg

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the Jap at a farm auction a year ago for a hundred dollar bill when guns prices were in the stratosphere. I kind of fell in love with the Bishop stock that had some free hand engraving on it. It was an estate sale, and when I buy a gun at one of these I seek out a family member that has a story behind the gun.
I put these stories in a binder along with the s/n and a pic in my file.

The gun was taken in the Pacific after the US invasion of Tininan. Lots of GI's lost their lives there and I hope none was shed with this rifle.

The Grandfather brought it back and had the stock and the .300 savage barrel put on, and did the evgraving himself.(I would have never sold it). The grandson told me that they never could get it to shoot good. This was after I bought it.
I took it to the range, and a 10" group was as good as it gets.
Gave it a good once over, and found the barrel had been shortened by cutting it off with a hacksaw, and they had tried to square it off with a file. Took it to a local gunsmith and had a target crown put on it, and it shot 2" groups with a Weaver K2 scope in 4X. I'm sure with good optics, it would shrink the group, but I'm leaving it on and using it for a short range gun in the woods.:D
With the short barrel, I'm thinking of making it a tractor gun. Working the fields, I always see a coyote, and it would be nice to have something to dismount, and get a shot at it.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010010_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010011.jpg

That is awesome, congrats...

Latest posts

Top Bottom