Mystery vehicle making traffic stops on I-35

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Private cops, yo, libertarian wet dream.

Umm... no it's not. There are certain things where it's better for government employees to handle. Enforcement of public law and administration of public punishment by private entities creates an inherent conflict of interest. This is especially true given current SCOTUS precedent is that a private administrator of public law cannot be held accountable for violations of one's Constitutional rights.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda funny, but I met this guy today. We were talking about the media reports of the impersonator stopping cars up there when this guy whom I had never met stated it was the kay county da's that made the stops. When asked how he knew that he sheepishly admitted it was him. He explained that he had already contacted Logan County and fessed up.
I wasnt impressed with his reasoning for making the stops, but if accurate it was legal.
State statute allows traffic stops out of jurisdiction if the offense is dangerous enough. I think it 47-12.90 iirc. And statute also states LEO's can use unmarked cars for regular traffic enforcement duties only if the officer is in a full uniform. I dont recall that staute though.

He seemed embarassed by all the trouble he stirred up but.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would certainly hope he would be embarrased. the net effect of his actions is that the driving public now have pause to question whether or not the person that just pulled them over is actually a LEO. The last thing they should want to do is walk that thin grey line that can hamper public trust in our law enforcement.

That's the net effect of his actions.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the news report I just saw, he pulled over one motorist who nearly ran him off the road, then stopped to check on a second who'd fallen asleep and run off the road. Apparently, his only mistake was not telling the Logan County Sheriff's office about it.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda funny, but I met this guy today. We were talking about the media reports of the impersonator stopping cars up there when this guy whom I had never met stated it was the kay county da's that made the stops. When asked how he knew that he sheepishly admitted it was him. He explained that he had already contacted Logan County and fessed up.
I wasnt impressed with his reasoning for making the stops, but if accurate it was legal.
State statute allows traffic stops out of jurisdiction if the offense is dangerous enough. I think it 47-12.90 iirc. And statute also states LEO's can use unmarked cars for regular traffic enforcement duties only if the officer is in a full uniform. I dont recall that staute though.

He seemed embarassed by all the trouble he stirred up but.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

THANK YOU, Foghorn. That pretty much clears up all my questions. :)

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This brings up something that I've been a little interested in since we moved here. How do you tell what's even a real marked car?

As one example, in Ohio, years ago, the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association decided as a group that all sheriff's offices statewide would use the same uniform, and the same markings on their cars. Down here, I don't think any two counties are even close.

With all of the jurisdictions around here, even just in the Muskogee area, it's hard to tell if the car belongs to a real agency. I've seen one car that just says "Police" on the side, without any agency name or identification. Crown Vic, with a light bar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom