Name this snake!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
those things are quick.

saw a guy chase one up a cedar tree in missouri, it went off a branch 12-15 up, and didn't slow down when it hit the ground.
My first sumer on a survey crew, we came accross a blue racer. It stood up like a cobra in the grass in front of us as we were walking back to the van to drive home. I almost turned and ran but my party chief stopped me and said "dont run or it'll chase ya". He took another step forward and the snake turned and hauled some serious ass. I bet it was moving 30 mph! lol

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, after dispatching that last one just outside the door. My kids were out back playing basketball and a damn Diamondback Water Snake slithers across the court. Dog went nuts, kids screamed and ran (12 and 14 yrs old), snake slithered out to the reservoir out back. At least I knew what that one was. Just wish there was a way to keep them away from the family living/playing areas, never been this active before, even out here in the boonies. I think the population has increased due to the water and the end to the drought. Here is a shot of the house and reservoir just off the pool area. Any ideas for deterrents?

upload_2017-4-27_0-5-15.png

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can handle snakes all day long. But even the tiniest of spiders terrifies me. And I agree with the other snake assessment. A water snake also swims differently than a water moccasin.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, after dispatching that last one just outside the door. My kids were out back playing basketball and a damn Diamondback Water Snake slithers across the court. Dog went nuts, kids screamed and ran (12 and 14 yrs old), snake slithered out to the reservoir out back. At least I knew what that one was. Just wish there was a way to keep them away from the family living/playing areas, never been this active before, even out here in the boonies. I think the population has increased due to the water and the end to the drought. Here is a shot of the house and reservoir just off the pool area. Any ideas for deterrents?
]

It's breeding season for a lot of critters right now. I wonder if the snakes are out looking for love?

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 100204

The snakes are breeding now. They will move away from the water up to one hundred yards in order to lay their eggs. As close as you are to the water, there not many remedies this time of year. It will get better once hot weather arrives, at least for the water snakes.

One of the better deterrents would be a fence around your house with a few rat terriers in the yard. They can be very good snake killers.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can handle snakes all day long. But even the tiniest of spiders terrifies me. And I agree with the eater snake assessment. A water snake also swims differently than a water moccasin.

A cottonmouth, copperhead, and rattler will all appear to be floating on top of the water. They all fill up their lung and other cavities with air prior to crossing over water. A common water snake will be below the surface.

Latest posts

Top Bottom