Need a new 10mm option to fixate on and eventually get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well then, that VLTOR Bren Ten reincarnation may be just the ticket. How much are they supposed to be?

Lightning Crash, thanks! Are you kidding or not kidding about the Sphinx being good?

Glad to hear of some good choices.

Yeah, apparently the new Delta Elites are not as nice as the original ones. I traded it to peppersac - is he no longer around the board?

The STI perfect 10 sounds interesting too - what's the price on that bad boy?'

So, in no particular order...

1. VLTOR Fortis (Bren Ten) - thanks RobC - that may be just the ticket.
2. STI Perfect Ten
3. Sphinx AT-3000 (if you weren't kidding, LC)
4. S&W Auto of some flavor
5. OLD Delta Elite
6. Kimber
7. Fusion Arms 1911
8. Witness Hunter - the one without the end plug thing
9. Dan Wesson

What else (besides Glock)?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, apparently the new Delta Elites are not as nice as the original ones.

The old ones are nearly the same? Plus the older ones were also built in a time when Colt's QC was getting some REALLY bad press.

One option if you don't like the sights or grip safety, in which I don't like them either is to send it to Colt and have them do their "O" package. Which is around ~350? I think?

[Broken External Image]

You'd probably still be under what it would cost you to find an older DE variant.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lightning Crash, thanks! Are you kidding or not kidding about the Sphinx being good?

Not kidding at all. The Sphinx is one of the best-made pistols in existence. It's like a bunch of Swiss watch-making gnomes were locked in a pistol factory on accident.
Here's a review:
http://www.gunblast.com/Sphinx.htm

There was a story of a comp shooter buying one, testing it on a ransom rest, and then running 60,000 trouble-free rounds through it before testing it again. It shot a group no larger than the first proofing.

The sticker shock is the kicker. They're $2000+ brand new. IIRC Mags are around $70. Resale is then difficult.

One guy on THR found a Sphinx AT-2000 (40 S&W though) at a Dallas gun show for $425. :shocked:

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not kidding at all. The Sphinx is one of the best-made pistols in existence. It's like a bunch of Swiss watch-making gnomes were locked in a pistol factory on accident.
Here's a review:
http://www.gunblast.com/Sphinx.htm

There was a story of a comp shooter buying one, testing it on a ransom rest, and then running 60,000 trouble-free rounds through it before testing it again. It shot a group no larger than the first proofing.

The sticker shock is the kicker. They're $2000+ brand new. IIRC Mags are around $70. Resale is then difficult.

One guy on THR found a Sphinx AT-2000 (40 S&W though) at a Dallas gun show for $425. :shocked:

It looks like a CZ. Will those mags not work?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like a CZ. Will those mags not work?

They can sometimes work for range duty, but they aren't reliable enough for CCW in the Sphinx.
ETA: CZ75 mags can sometimes work in the AT2000, but you have to fix them. The extractor on the Sphinx wants to eat the feed lips on the CZ75 mags.
The AT2000 mags and CZ75 mags do not work with the AT3000... you're stuck buying $70 mags. If you're spending $2300 for a pistol, $70 isn't that much extra anyway. Retail pistols come with 2 magazines IIRC.

Reaction score
The thing about the newer Delta elite with the crap sights and marginal finish and all is this: Re-sale in the future to "Colt people", who are generally collectors, depends in large part upon whether it's in its original unchanged condition. So if I spent $350 improving it (or less, or more), that would actually LOWER its re-sale value! That don't make no sense to me! Just a mistake on my part with an impulse purchase. Lesson learned. Colt can now bite me. I still want some snake revolvers badly though! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom