Need a new 10mm option to fixate on and eventually get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing about the newer Delta elite with the crap sights and marginal finish and all is this: Re-sale in the future to "Colt people", who are generally collectors, depends in large part upon whether it's in its original unchanged condition. So if I spent $350 improving it (or less, or more), that would actually LOWER its re-sale value! That don't make no sense to me! Just a mistake on my part with an impulse purchase. Lesson learned. Colt can now bite me. I still want some snake revolvers badly though! :)

They are the same sights they put on the older ones my friend. Rather you didn't get anything significantly better like Novaks. Not sure what you mean by finish because the new ones are stainless guns. :saywhat: :scratch:

I thought your complaint was due to function, so I was merely offering a solution. :D Delta Elites aren't really collector items unless there was a limited run of a rare variant (Elite 10 etc) and depending on WHO did the work your value wouldn't neccessarily go down. Let's put it this way, if you sent it one of our local smiths, it would probably keep it's value aswell, along with a number of acredited pistolsmiths. Rather if you know what you are doing and are patient, and decided to sell it after having work done you wouldn't lose any significant value.

In which if you don't like the platform that's great. Just relaying a little truth between the old ones vs the new ones. :D

Reaction score
Well ok, maybe I was mistaken on my thought process, but every experience I've had with people who buy Colts indicates that they want them in original condition, even if they're not particularly collectible.

The reality is that I was PO'ed at myself for spending $1k on a gun that I then realized is poorly "finished", and I'm using that term "finished" broadly to refer also to things like the crap sights on it, lack of any meltdown job, etc., and did NOT want to spend more money on it, as (a) it should have come that way to begin with at that price, and (b) my belief that any money spent would only lower its value, or at best, keep it at the same value. So I just wanted to 'turn it' in new condition while it was at its maximum value, and chalk it up to a lesson learned about carefully inspecting and considering before buying, not just assuming "hey it's a Colt - it will have nice features from start to finish" as a given...and I did in fact learn the lesson. :)

Oh, and I thought the older Delta Elites were nicer in several ways, including the sights....I had heard that - if I am mistaken on that, then well, I am mistaken, and thanks for the correction - are you sure?

Reaction score
In any event, I must have the Sphinx - now that's one badass handgun! :D

LC, it looks to me like (from the link) the slide is partially opened on top, and thus is the barrel ported in that area, do you think?

What I want is one just like that one, but no compensator, no porting; nothing like that; I'm not a fan of loudeners on my guns.

It's like a bunch of Swiss watch-making gnomes were locked in a pistol factory on accident.

Hee hee

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well ok, maybe I was mistaken on my thought process, but every experience I've had with people who buy Colts indicates that they want them in original condition, even if they're not particularly collectible.

Well there are shooters and then there are collectors. Either way, if you have work done to it the value will hold. Of course this depends who you have done to it, but the Colt shop factory special runs I've seen command a pretty penny.

The reality is that I was PO'ed at myself for spending $1k on a gun that I then realized is poorly "finished", and I'm using that term "finished" broadly to refer also to things like the crap sights on it, lack of any meltdown job, etc., and did NOT want to spend more money on it, as (a) it should have come that way to begin with at that price, and (b) my belief that any money spent would only lower its value, or at best, keep it at the same value. So I just wanted to 'turn it' in new condition while it was at its maximum value, and chalk it up to a lesson learned about carefully inspecting and considering before buying, not just assuming "hey it's a Colt - it will have nice features from start to finish" as a given...and I did in fact learn the lesson.

Most of Colt's quality lies within the internals. I will say that I wished Colt would just go ahead and put a REAL beavertail on their guns. However, they use little MIM, something I prefer but that's just me. I understand what you are saying, but you have to realize, nobody does any significant beveling on their guns until you hit the near $2000 range. Kimber used to with their series I CDP but no factory 1911 in 10mm out there has beveling.

Oh, and I thought the older Delta Elites were nicer in several ways, including the sights....I had heard that - if I am mistaken on that, then well, I am mistaken, and thanks for the correction - are you sure?

They had more variants of the older versions that had more options, of which you usually have pay through the nose to own. Are the sights the same? On the stock models... Yes. See for yourself. Old vs New

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Anywho, good luck on finding the right 10mm for yourself. I'm in the same boat.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what about a Delta Elite Gold Cup?

does anyone have any experience with Delta Gold Cup.... it's got target sights and is finished better internally. seems production numbers for those are tiny.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In any event, I must have the Sphinx - now that's one badass handgun! :D

LC, it looks to me like (from the link) the slide is partially opened on top, and thus is the barrel ported in that area, do you think?

What I want is one just like that one, but no compensator, no porting; nothing like that; I'm not a fan of loudeners on my guns.

Hee hee

It could be. it's possible that it's just a slide cut to drop the weight of the slide. Since the barrel has junk up front it will need more oomph to unlock the ejection port lock, makes sense that a lighter slide would accomplish that.

Sphinx can make it however you want, within reason. You can get steel or titanium frames, etc. Just have your preferred FFL talk to Sabre for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom