Need advice - putting up a flag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I am going to have to read the flag flying rules - I've done it before, but it's been a few years.

I am going to install permanent lighting for it.
I will fly it above any other flag or ornament - probably going to fly a Gadsden under it, maybe OK and St. Vincent flags on either side? Lower, of course... probably start with a single pole at the beginning, though.

Aluminum? Steel? Fiberglass?

Do the "spinner" tangle-free things really work, or just a gimmick?

Anyone got an opinion or used one of these solar flagpole lights? Looks kinda strange being lighted from above, but if it really works decently, I might consider it.

I'm thinking maybe a 14' tall one, I'd prefer single-piece, but if the multiple-section ones are any good, I might consider it. I'm not sure how tall the roof is, I'm going to have to measure (single-story), but I'm going to be putting it in on the corner of the house, tucked up pretty close to the eave, so I don't want it to drag on the roof (obviously) and I want to run a good-sized flag.

Just looking for some help, some pointers, etc. How to run power to it, maybe? My neighbor is an electrician, he can probably help with that, I suppose. I can get a good pair of post hole diggers (neighbor again, lol, mine are crap). Thinking just pour a little Quickcrete and set the pole plumb - should be caek, right? Right... we'll see about that.

Guess I need mostly advice on type of flagpole, height, flag itself, good lighting - stupid fixtures at Lowe's are horrid... of all the ones I've bought and installed, not a single one really work(ed/s) right.

So what do ya think?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

I'd go with solar lighting to save the electrician fees. Like anything else money talks, and everything else walks when considering reliability. Lighting from the bottom means you don't have to get to the top of the pole for maintenance unless its built to tip over.

We live on a hill top and have had problems in the past with Martin Houses on aluminum poles getting bent in high winds. Reason is, they use the cheapest grade of aluminum available. Better grades/thicker of aluminum would stop that. 5051 grade aluminum is really soft. 6062 is aircraft grade.

How tall are we talking, and how big of a flag? That might be the determining issue.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing between 14 and 20 feet, flag will probably be a 3x5 or 4x6? I dunno... something like that. I mean, I'm not putting up a big 10-foot flag or anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom