Need assistance in Yukon area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not quite sure where to post this.

Anyways, my situation is that I purchased an ar-15 upper receiver group and have sent the upper back to the manufacture because it shot 12" to the right at 50 yards and I could not get anywhere near an acceptable zero. So I received the upper back and a test target showing their 25y zero and a note that says 6 clicks to the left. Well after I went out to zero the rifle I have my LT fixed sight all the way to the left with 2 clicks to spare.

To make this boring story short, I am trying to find someone in the Yukon area that can let me borrow a spare quality rear sight so that I can make sure the issue I am having is not with my upper and with my rear sight.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might not be an issue with the rear sight. A misaligned or canted front sight will change your windage adjustment. I had a rifle that was nearly running out of windage adjustment just to as you described. In that case it was a railed gas block secured to the barrel by set screws. So, I was able to realign the gas block and get the windage knob to its mechanical zero. If that's your problem then its not as easy of a repair with an A2 style front sight.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others suggest, it sounds like your front sight post is bent. Should be a fairly cheap part to replace. But there are a couple of things you might try to see if it is the front sight.

Get a small 2" string bubble level [a $1 at a dollar store] and put it on your barrel. Get it level. Then look straight down on the top of the sight post, can you view it as a single evenly spaced 'dot' on the tip of the post, or does it lean just a tad so you can see part of the post? You might also try shinning a small penlight on the post as you are looking down the barrel so that the shadow of the post shines on a white wall or piece of paper.... say 6" away.. if it is bent any.. it may show up to your naked eye in the larger projected shadow.

Or, if you have time and can bench your rifle solidly so it won't move at all.. Sight your rifle in on a target's zero point. Then start rotating your sight post a click or two at a time up or down and take another zero.... each time making a dot on the target for your new zero point. If the post is straight, then your zero marks should be in a staight line up or down... but if the post is bent, the marks will be zig-zagged.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as much as i would like to help I just cant bring myself to take mine out of zero by pulling it off and sticking it on another rifle, sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom