Need help picking out new scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys please help. I have just bought a kimber longmaster .308 and am a little hung up on the scope to buy for it. I have not ever owned a rifle this nice so I wanted to put a nice piece on it. I would not see me needing to shoot over 400 yrds and would like to keep it under $500 but might go a little higher if needed. My question is this what have you guys used and how did it perform also where is the best place to buy one? Also I'm not against buying a good used one so if ya got one.... I'm just saying!

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4-16x50 Nikon Monarch has great glass.

Vortex makes decent stuff.

Luepold has several great pieces of glass. Congrats on the nice rifle

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually do have a good used one in great shape. Leupold VX III 3.5x10x40 w/Boone & Crocket reticle. Just dosen't seem right for me to have it on a .223. The Boone & Crocket reticle is a range estimator for deer.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Burris Fullfield II Tactical, 4.5X14X42 with ballistic plex on my R-25 308, and LOVE IT! Zeroed with Remington 168 gr Accutip at 100 yds and the bullet drop hash marks are right on out to 300 yds, and just slightly off out to 500 yds. I can hit 1 gallon milk jugs consistently out to 500 yds. I would highly recommend this scope and it is an affordable scope in your price range that would look good on your rifle. You can pick one up on Overstock.com for $400. Might find a better deal someplace else if you shop hard enough. Good luck!

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are running Vortex Viper 1-4's on the family AR's. Great options and good glass for the price tag. Their bigger glass optics are good as well and decently priced.

Leupold is good, but it seems like some of the others are jumping ahead, but that's my opinion.

Leupold in the $500 range is good and I might never be able to justify $1400-2000 for the Nightforce, U.S. Optics, Swarovski stuff. Might look at Kahles-sometimes you can find them for $6-800 on sale or barely used. Very good optics.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would check out the closeout Sightrons on SWFA.com

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9155.aspx

This is a $450 scope for $199.99 after mail in rebate. I bought one very similar to this one for the .308 that I got for Christmas and could not be happier. I did a ton of research on it and found this to be an incredible value. They have a lifetime warranty and I have read many posts where their customer service is incredible. Worth a close look IMHO.

I bought some Burris Signature Zee rings to mount it with and I love those as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom