need hog hunting tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crappieslayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I,m on a hunting lease near Rattan,OK and I have seen 3 hogs on the lease recently and i,m wanting to do some hunting for them.

Hog signs everywhere,pine trees are covered with mud,wallow holes,and tracks all over.

Any tips on hunting hogs will be appreciated!

Any hog hunters near my location look me up,i,m off 97 highway between Sand Springs and Sapulpa!

Heres a photo of one of the wallows on the lease.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_oklahoma111_100_0406.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're certainly in the right area for hogs. They are thick as flies down here. This time of year there isn't a whole lot of groceries until the acorns drop, however little there are this year. I've been doing very well on baitin with corn and trapping. Only thing about just hunting them is they are very nocturnal this time of year, so you're going to be squeezing one off at last light or first thing in the morning... morning being your best bet. I haven't been seeing any at last light, it is still in the mid 90's, but I do see them still running around at first light. I'd pick an area where they have been coming in and fill a feeder. You could also dig about a 3 foot hole with your PhD, pour some soured corn in the bottom, throw in some dirt, put another layer of corn, more dirt, etc. That gives them an area they can work at for a few days. Chances are they aren't going to get it all the first time.

Kill every one of them sumbitches you see. Good luck.

recon3117

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have feeders on our place and have buried fermented corn in other areas and it works but like has been said already you need to be there at the right time. one thing to try is get you a couple of 5 or 6 gallon buckets with screw on lids and handles fill 1 bucket with corn cover with cheap grape juice, 1 lb. of sugar and 1 bottle cheap berry flavored wine, put lid on and let it set for a couple of days, keep rotating contents every few hours. Take it and 2nd bucket to your place a couple of days before you want to hunt to.Cut one or two nickel size holes in the 2nd bucket pour contents of first bucket into it Either hang it close to the ground or secure it to something on the ground. KEY Word is SECURE it. This works for us with some good success early and late around water and their trails. Good Hunting

crappieslayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Recon, went out last Friday to my 55 gal. feeder to check if any hogs have been feeding on the corn and the barrel was still full.

Was shocked to see they didn,t touch the feed,wondering if the fresh paint job on the barrel is scaring them.

Going to try hunting them again when the weather cools down some.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use Buck Jam along with corn to bring them in and hold them in the area. They seem to go nuts over the Buck Jam. We've poured it on barren soil and the hogs worked the spot every time they were coming to the feeder.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom