Need Welder for 4x4 Sliders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just purchased sliders for my Toyota 4Runner and was seeing if anyone could help weld them on for me. From what I hear, welding on sliders only takes 15-30 minutes if all the prep work is done beforehand. I will help as best I can, can meet you anywhere within a couple hours of the OKC metro, and will be more than happy to pay you as you see fit (cash, treat you and your wife to a nice dinner, ammo, etc etc.). PM me and we can talk specifics.

For those of you that may not know, sliders are a series of metal tubes which help prevent damage to the lower flanks of vehicles--typically 4x4s that encounter rocky terrain. They can also act as steps (much like running boards aka nerf bars, but significantly stronger).

http://www.stubbswelding.com/page14.html

^^Here is a link of the sliders I bought (HD-SKO), there is some good description of the measurements, size, and general picture of what they are and what they do. The individual sliders are already in one piece (of which there are two, one for each side of the vehicle), all that needs to happen is for the scab plates to be welded to the frame.

Thanks for looking!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered CBI sliders and a hi-clearance rear bumper with a swing arm for my Tacoma yesterday! The wait is already killing me.

No help on welding. I haven't figured out which of my friends/coworkers I can con in to doing mine. lol.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The little 110 welder I have probably wouldn't give enough penetration to hold it. I know there is someone between Guthrie and OKC who does a lot of welding projects and is on here but have not seen him post in a while.

One suggestion is to check with one of the VoTech's they generally have classes that run year round and it would give them a little real world experience welding a project like this.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to drive to Tulsa, I may be able to help although I'm not thrilled welding them to the frame. I've always fabbed them as bolt-on.

I've built sliders for my Tacoma and built a ton of them and winch bumpers for Chevys.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 219

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered CBI sliders and a hi-clearance rear bumper with a swing arm for my Tacoma yesterday! The wait is already killing me.

No help on welding. I haven't figured out which of my friends/coworkers I can con in to doing mine. lol.

Let me know how it goes! Richard from Stubbs said it'd be about a week to ship, which I think is fairly quick considering all orders are made-to-order. Do you have pictures of your Taco on OSA?

The little 110 welder I have probably wouldn't give enough penetration to hold it. I know there is someone between Guthrie and OKC who does a lot of welding projects and is on here but have not seen him post in a while.

One suggestion is to check with one of the VoTech's they generally have classes that run year round and it would give them a little real world experience welding a project like this.

That's a good suggestion NightShade, I'd prefer to learn how to do it and get 'em welded on myself but my schedule is currently not flexible enough to attend a class in the summer. Additionally I don't I have the capital to invest in the proper equipment. Great thought though, I will certainly have to get some formal education learning about welding because I currently have no such knowledge.

In the okc area you might PM Prophet and see if he can help you out

Thanks man, I will give him a shout!

If you want to drive to Tulsa, I may be able to help although I'm not thrilled welding them to the frame. I've always fabbed them as bolt-on.

I've built sliders for my Tacoma and built a ton of them and winch bumpers for Chevys.

Thank you for the invitation DPI, the slider options for 3rd gen 4Runners is not incredibly large, and from those there are few that are of bolt-on construction. Bolt-on would have been easier installation-wise, but I don't intend on removing the sliders, and prefer weld-on for the strength (though I realize it may be a negligible difference). Those are some nice pieces you've made!!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know how it goes! Richard from Stubbs said it'd be about a week to ship, which I think is fairly quick considering all orders are made-to-order. Do you have pictures of your Taco on OSA?

My wait is 4 weeks but the hold up is my bumper that's shipping with it - not the sliders.

Here's my junk. 2007 I bought with 11 miles on it. 230K-ish now. It's never this clean. I just had it detailed yesterday because I'm about to sink a bunch of time/money/work in upgrades into it so I figured having it clean would be a good start. I was on the fence about throwing money it or selling it for a long time, but the thing still runs and drives like new so I don't see why it won't last forever.

OME coils, Dakars, 255/85/16 KM2s

i-JCq44Hf-L.jpg

Here's a pic I yanked of GIS of the bumper I'm waiting on. Next up is a cap/topper and I'm done for this year. Front bumper, skids, winch, and some front suspension upgrades next year.

i44.photobucket.com_albums_f31_barlowrs_Truck_20Build_IMG_2769.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Learning to weld them yourself is always good. But what I meant is actually have the students do it for you. Since you already have the stuff they will probably do all the work free and possibly end up with a little extra to make sure they are well attached.

Latest posts

Top Bottom