Need Where to Camp Recomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some nice places to camp. Don't want to camp next to a bunch of loud drunks 20 yards away so more secluded would be better. Preferable in NE OK, but will travel within a couple of hours of Tulsa.

Thanks!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind a short drive and a short hike the Ozark Highland trail is always nice.
Start at White Rock mountain and hike in a piece.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are a few on my "list of awesome places you need to go if you live in OK":

In Oklahoma:
Quartz Mountain
Wichita Mountains (Camp Doris I think)
Red Rock Canyon
Winding Stair Campground (in the Ouchita National Forest)
Glass Mountain
Alabaster Caverns
Used to be able to hit up Heavener Runestone Park, but I don't think it's maintained anymore
Chickasaw Recreational Area

In Arkansas:
Mt. Magazine State Park (and nearby Spring Lake National Recreation Area but only in the summer months)
Mt. Nebo
Devil's Den
Petit Jean State park

In Texas:
Palo Duro Canyon

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last few times I visited Winding Stair campground was closed. But just down the mountain is Cedar Lake, which is my favorite "civilized" camping in OK. I prefer easternmost campground near the dam--more densely wooded, and usually more quiet. Great hiking around the lake and several trails through the hills connecting to the campgrounds, and very scenic Talimena drive closeby.

Maybe a little more than 2 hrs though... it takes me about 2.5 hrs from Tulsa.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are a few on my "list of awesome places you need to go if you live in OK":

In Oklahoma:
Quartz Mountain
Wichita Mountains (Camp Doris I think)
Red Rock Canyon
Winding Stair Campground (in the Ouchita National Forest)
Glass Mountain
Alabaster Caverns
Used to be able to hit up Heavener Runestone Park, but I don't think it's maintained anymore
Chickasaw Recreational Area

In Arkansas:
Mt. Magazine State Park (and nearby Spring Lake National Recreation Area but only in the summer months)
Mt. Nebo
Devil's Den
Petit Jean State park

In Texas:
Palo Duro Canyon

All great suggestions!

I'll add a few from my neck of the woods:

In Missouri:
Roaring River State Park
James River (great access under the "Y-bridge" outside Galena)
Ha Ha Tonka State Park
Anderson Hollow Cove (Keep in mind in MO, tops are optional for women - this cove is the reason why)
Lake of the Ozarks State Park (check out Ozark Caverns with access by boat, also bridal caverns)

Also, the national forests in Arkansas are pretty awesome in terms of facilities. There are even a dozen or so free shooting ranges, each a million times nicer than any of the WMA ranges in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom