Needs some scope recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of terrain are you hunting? My last time out last week my longest shot would have been about 25 yards. I'm using a Redfield Widefield 1 3/4 x 5 power scope. I had it set on the lowest power.

If you're a thick cover hunter, you'll want a lower power scope. If you go with a variable, you'll want a more expensive scope. Cheap variable scopes don't recover their zero when switching between settings.

If you go with a fixed power, you can go with a lesser expensive scope, like Bushnell. Computers have made production of quality glass pretty simple. It's the quality of variable scopes where you see the difference in various price ranges.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own 3 Super Sniper Scopes. You can get them SWFA. They are just as clear as a Leupold but cheaper and hols up better. They are also Mil-dot so you can learn how to range your target.

Bleedsorange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was leaning towards a 3X9 of some type, I hunt fairly heavy woods with decent shooting lanes. My longest shot would be in the neighborhood of 130 yards. If i hunt anything a little more open i will probably still carry my 270 WSM.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was leaning towards a 3X9 of some type, I hunt fairly heavy woods with decent shooting lanes. My longest shot would be in the neighborhood of 130 yards. If i hunt anything a little more open i will probably still carry my 270 WSM.

You need to spend enough to get quality glass, but probably not enough to break the bank. I always default to the Bushnell Elite series scopes. I have two and have owned four total, with no problems whatsoever.

A good place to get them is opticsplanet.com

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Leupold Scout Scope on my Marlin. However, I like the clarity of my Ziess much better.

I'll probably be pulling it off and putting on some peeps. Just don't like the cheek weld on the rifle.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my preferences for what they are worth.

I like variable scopes for any hunting. 3-9 is fine for a short range gun. You sometimes want to be able to zoom in on something for a closer look. The fixed powers leave that possibility out.

Try to be sure you are satisfied with the reticle you get. It needs to perform for you on the lowest power for a quick shot.

Your requirements aren't very demanding for the scope makers and you shouldn't have to spend a lot of money to accomplish them.

If you want to spend some money and really get a good one, I agree with the previous post about the Ziess. They are a really sharp optic.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to spend enough to get quality glass, but probably not enough to break the bank. I always default to the Bushnell Elite series scopes. I have two and have owned four total, with no problems whatsoever.

A good place to get them is opticsplanet.com

+1.

My 2 bushnell elites have always performed very well. A friend that owns/has owned more rifles than I can count thinks Bushnell Elite series are the best for the money (money is typically not a limiting factor for him). I know many people with Leupolds that have held up really well. I think a 3-9x40mm is the best all-around for hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom