New rod and reel recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second the Shimano, that is my favorite spin cast or bait cast reels. Have 2 spincast that I have been repairing and patching for 10 yrs now. Shimano quit making that model but on occasion I find a few on ebay for parts to keep them functioning. They both got hard use for 20 yrs before the patching and repairing started, just can't give them up yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running the 1000. 2000, and 3000 series Shimano NASCI's on Ugly sticks. 2000 and 3000 series are coupled with the SP1170-2M 7' medium action rod with a fast tip.
The 1000 series runs 4lb line on a classic Browning Sila-flex that even being fiberglass, gives a great feel for those tiny crappie bites and trout in clear water. Belonged to my dad who has passed, so he is still fishing with me.
The bigger rods run Power-Pro braid in 20 lb weight as a main line, then tie a fluorocarbon leader in different weights depending on what I'm fishing for.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running the 1000. 2000, and 3000 series Shimano NASCI's on Ugly sticks. 2000 and 3000 series are coupled with the SP1170-2M 7' medium action rod with a fast tip.
The 1000 series runs 4lb line on a classic Browning Sila-flex that even being fiberglass, gives a great feel for those tiny crappie bites and trout in clear water. Belonged to my dad who has passed, so he is still fishing with me.
The bigger rods run Power-Pro braid in 20 lb weight as a main line, then tie a fluorocarbon leader in different weights depending on what I'm fishing for.
I’ve got a couple shimano nasci’s as well and I love them!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 Zebco 33 that are 44 years old and see regular use. I would be surprised if a new 33 is of the same quality. For heavier use, Wif uses a Zebco 808.

My go to rod is Ugly Stick, 6' up to 13', both spinning and bait cast.
I'm more of a baitcast fan, Ambassador, Shimano and Penn.

As mentioned above, find your preferred reel ON SALE. A combo is probably your best bargain. If not, get a cheaper rod and spend more on a better reel.

Clean that 33, oil it, put new, good quality line on it and have some fun. Keep an out at Academy or Bass Pro for a combo you like.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Zebco-Anti-R...MIzI2RiOmPhQMV_YDCCB148gy5EAQYBCABEgJLSfD_BwE

The omega I have for my son is actually on sale on amazon right now. The current production zebco 33s are crap… get the omega
I watch for older reels at yard sales, take em home clean em,oil em up, put new line on em and your good to go usually with a better reel for a fraction of the cost
Last ones I picked up were 2 zebco 33 reels on cheap light weight poles for $5 each

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watch for older reels at yard sales, take em home clean em,oil em up, put new line on em and your good to go usually with a better reel for a fraction of the cost
Last ones I picked up were 2 zebco 33 reels on cheap light weight poles for $5 each
Buddy here wanted to surf fish with me. We were following the wives through some flea market and he spotted a guy selling used rods and reels. I spotted a Mitchel 400 series spinning reel that had a really smooth action on a 9' heavy rod. Seller was wanting $75 for the pair. I knew those old Mitchel's made in France had machined metal gears inside. Told him to buy it if he was looking for a bargain so he did.
Later he looked it up on ebay, and saw a couple over $130 for the used reel alone. He's so tight that he squeaks when he walks, so was pretty happy at the bargain he got.

Latest posts

Top Bottom