New rod and reel recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've started looking for a new rod and reel . . . I haven't bought either in over 20 years.

I'm not sure my 30+ year old Zebco 33 will cut it.

What's a reasonably priced and reliable combo that you guys might recommend?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Shimano reels and Ugly Stick rods. They are resonably priced.
Love Ugly Stiks.
Gotta admit though, I'll throw money at a good saltwater Penn just as fast as I'll throw money at a Mauser. The Penn spinning saltwater reels are the greatest thing since sliced bread, IMHO.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re going for either a spinning reel or a spin cast (push button zebco type) I’d avoid a bait caster unless you’re fairly experienced

Budget? Always spend a bit more on the reel and cheap out on the rods if needed

IMO a guy really needs at least 3 rods… 1: medium action bass type rod. 1: light action crappie/sandbass rod. 1: heavy action/large reel catfish rod.

If you’re seeking one “do all” set up go with the medium action middle of the road size. Something like 6ft or 6ft6in medium power rod with a fast tip and a 2000-3000size spinning reel. For spinning reels you’ll be fine with any of the offerings from shimano, diawa, pflueger, penn, etc in the $70-$120 range. Any cheaper than about $70 and you’re getting beginner junk that won’t hold up to frequent use.

If you’re wanting another zebco button type the zebco omega is very nice one! I have 1 for my son and it’s soooo much better than the cheaper spin cast reels

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops are having their spring sale right now. I’d get online and check if the type of rod/real combo is on sale and get whatever brand is cheaper. The lower priced rod and reals are all made in the same overseas factories regardless of the brand name.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Indi. What is your objective? What fish species are you targeting? From boat or bank?
What you going after? Cats, panfish, crappie/sandies?
I like ugly sticks because they are hard to break, but I prefer a rode that has a lot more sensitivity for smaller fish.
You can still have fun with that zebco, clean it and throw some new line in it, don’t use braided line.

I would recommend something like this
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...g-rod-and-reel-combo-7ft-medium-2pc/p/1641218

I'm just planning to fish some farm ponds. I'd imagine they have perch, crappie, bass and maybe some catfish.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops are having their spring sale right now. I’d get online and check if the type of rod/real combo is on sale and get whatever brand is cheaper. The lower priced rod and reals are all made in the same overseas factories regardless of the brand name.
That sale is actually what prompted me to go ahead and start to look for something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom