Neighborhood on edge after sniper kills cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2217458.shtml
Albuquerque police are trying to find whoever shot and killed a cat using a gun with a sniper scope. There are other cats missing in the neighborhood, and neighbors are outraged. Now, several rewards are being offered to capture the cat killer.

Prissy was a friendly feral cat who frequently visited her loving neighbors near Eubank and Indian School.

The cat was gunned down this week, and city officials are worried that the person who pulled the trigger is capable of doing worse.

Carin Harman was looking over her flowerbed Tuesday morning when she found Prissy, shot dead. X-ray images show a single bullet wound right through the ribs. Harman called police and animal control.

"I'm upset, I cried and cried, even though it's not my cat, I'm worried about the neighborhood," said Harman.

A neighbor reported hearing a gunshot the night before at 11p.m. in the middle of a rainstorm.

"For a night shot, that's pretty good shootin'," said neighbor Carl Schulte. "I just think it's terrible, I don't understand why someone would shoot an innocent animal."

Shulte and his wife Margart regularly fed Prissy and her feral friends. Other cats are missing, and posters are up in the neighborhood offering rewards for catching the killer.

The neighbors are blaming another neighbor who hates feral cats and traps them.

City officials are working on extracting the bullet to match it to the gun in hopes of tracking down the cat-hating sniper.

The state veterinarian lab is working on extracting the bullet from the cat; then they will pass on the results to Albuquerque police.

The cat sniper could face felony charges that include extreme cruelty to animals.:scratch:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They probably were told night vision scope" or some other less dramatic term, got on the internet, cross referenced night scope and sniper, and made the story a little punchier.

That said, feral cats are a menace, but can be controlled by legal and humane means that do not put the population (of humans) at risk. Since the bullet appears to be in the cat, my guess is a CB cap or one of the other very low powered .22 rounds, so maybe the risk to persons wasn't high.

I love animals, even cats, but what I do not love is people treating feral cats as "pets." I have tamed and found homes for a number of feral cats. It's not easy, and it's not cheap if you do it right, but it can be done. Feeding them without sterilizing them just adds to the problem, and ultimately to the misery of the cat population.

"Sniper" my a$$. . . WWCHS?* CB

*What would Carlos Hathcock say?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it this guy?

images3.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20110517180858_fallout_images_3_36_Cat_sniper.jpg

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The term "cat sniper" made me laugh a good bit. I have several cats that roam my neighborhood that I would love to dispatch. The nasty buggers keep crapping in my kids sand box. As far as i'm concerned he is doing his neighbors a favor. I wish my neighborhood had a cat sniper. Maybe it's time to take matters into my own hands. BWAHAHAHA! <--------Evil laugh.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dang, the neighborhood I use to live in had 3 snipers!
Some of them use to shoot in the middle of the day.
Officer lived 2 doors down from me, he said he never heard anything!

Latest posts

Top Bottom