Never go look at houses before yours is ready to put on the market.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two weeks of working the full time job. Then going home to work on projects you've been putting off. It's not as fun as it sounds.

My wife and I made the decision to buy a new(er) house this summer. We had put together a list of what we thought our house needed to ensure a quick sale. Then had our realtor come through and give us her list. They were close in length. The biggest things on the list. Popcorn ceiling in the kitchen and the back bathtub surround.

I put together a schedule with a desired date of the 27th for listing. Plenty of time to get everything done. In the mean time we had been looking online at what was on the market trying to get an idea what we liked and didn't like as far as features go. Then we found it (mistake #1). One house in one of the neighborhoods we wanted to be in. Price was high but just listed. We drove by it a few days later (Mistake #2). Then my wife comes to me a few days later. They are having an open house next Sunday. We went (Mistake #3). Damnit if I didn't like it more now.

The price is to high at this point. So it was easy to ignore it. Then I get a Zillow App notification. Putting Zillow on your phone (Mistake #4). Price Drop. OK. Getting closer to the budget. By this time we are into our list of projects. Then the next update comes out. Price drop again. Zillow on phone still (Mistake #5). price drop another $5,000. Now it's cleared the budgeted ceiling I set. CRAP. Call the realtor to get schedule to walk through it with her. She agrees it is in great shape and doesn't see anything other than some paint touch up.

Well that lead to the last two weeks of scrambling to get the list done. Tonight we are going back through the house one last time before signing an offer on the house. It would have been a lot easier to just pay someone to do this for me. But that goes against my saying of, "why pay someone to do something that you are more than capable of doing."

So tonight I will finish assembling the last frame I'm building for the mirrors we cut down and putting that in place while the Mrs. finishes touching up some paint. Then the deep clean begins. The storage space has been rented to stick all the unwanted items to prepare our house for showings.

I'm sure the stress of getting the house ready to sell is going to be less than that of waiting on a solid offer in a timely fashion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went through this last year. Went from not looking to closing on a new place in less than 6 weeks. Simultaneously making improvements to old house while going through closing dance on new one.

Had an contract on the old place within two weeks but it was contingent on the sale of their current home...which dragged everything out way too long. Several months of double mortgage payments put a crimp in summer fun!

If I ever sell again, I'll never sell on that contingency.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
We ended up juggling 2 payments for 8 months this last time. That sucked bad. However, our last house was in a bad location and thus a hard sell. I don't expect the house I'm in now will take long at all to sell.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you putting a contingency on the offer, that yours must sell first? If so the seller may or may not take it. It would be foolish of them not to as there is an out clause for them that if another offer comes in while waiting on yours to sell they can call your contract and you'd have to close or release. We put in an offer on contingency and it took about 4 months to get a solid offer on our home but it was at the wrong time of the year. Everything worked out fine but it was strange being in limbo.

If you do not get this home, I'd keep Zillow and others on your phone but set price range as your preferences and save it. That way it will only notify you of houses in range.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to avoid this situation altogether by paying off my mortgage first. Might take a while, but the chance to fix up everything first, and the peace of mind, will be worth it!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to avoid this situation altogether by paying off my mortgage first. Might take a while, but the chance to fix up everything first, and the peace of mind, will be worth it!

That's what we did. Our old house was paid for . It's nice if you are able. Our house now is pd for and wife wants to live in the country...

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our house is paid off but we want to move to get away from family. We went to Florida because of the tax situation there is better than OK. But we found prices have gone up considerably in the last two years so we came back and decided we'll wait until the next housing bubble bust. I hear it's coming and all kinds of dark news but that's talk...so far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Newly married to the 2nd wife, we had two houses to sell to buy one that we still currently live in 29 years later. We had two Daisy Chains going at the same time, hers and mine. Housing markets were down at the time so we ended up renting mine and selling hers. Its all relative to the housing prices. When selling prices are down, the rental market is down as well. Mine was the lesser of the two, so rented it for several years to make payments plus a little and did get a nice return on it when housing prices went back up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom