New AR's on the market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll step in it...

For AR lowers i look for two things. 7075 t6 aluminum, hard coat anodized, either milled from billet or forging. All holes cut, drilled, milled to spec. Everything else is personal preference. Some companies who mill their own receivers have better QC than others, just as some companies who buy finished receivers and have their roll mark applied have better QC than others. I will pay more to buy a receiver from a company that does their own work in house and has a track record of excellent QC along with great customer service should there be a problem. I wont pay more for any part just because of the name or roll mark.

Edited to remove douchiness.

Last edited:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
so whats 'better' about it compare to, say, an Anderson lower?

The thing I liked about it was the scorpion roll mark as well as the Broken Arrow, Ok roll mark, since I live in BA. I also liked the fact it has the Safe/Fire/Auto is kinda cool since I matched it up to my slide-fire upper.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll step in it...

For AR lowers i look for two things. 7075 t6 aluminum, hard coat anodized, either milled from billet or forging. All holes cut, drilled, milled to spec. Everything else is personal preference. Some companies who mill their own receivers have better QC than others, just as some companies who buy finished receivers and have their roll mark applied have better QC than others. I will pay more to buy a receiver from a company that does their own work in house and has a track record of excellent QC along with great customer service should there be a problem. I wont pay more for any part just because of the name or roll mark.

Edited to remove douchiness.

There are only a handfull of forges out there.

Alcoa Forge
Anchor-Harvey Components, LLC.
Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises
CAPCO
Cardinal Forge
Cerro Fabricated Products
Mueller Forging Company

Every forged lower comes from one of these forgers. As long as they lower is in spec, it should perform just as well as any of the others. The only differences are roll marks and finishes. Materially, as long as they are IN SPEC, they are the same. And it stands to reason that they should be in spec. Whether it's BRO or Anderson. Cause you have to put lots of parts with them to make them work.

The myth that more expensive lowers are somehow better is being totally blown out of the water by Anderson. If anything, Anderson is closer to the original design intention than any of the "designer" brands. paying more because a company offers better customer service or tighter quality control means you're buying the roll-mark. Once the lower is in service and functioning, they are all the same. Upper components are a totally different story, IMHO

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the forging house does not perform the milling processes. Whoever controls that aspect of the operation has the control over the finished product, not the forging house. And there are dozens of companies who mill forged or billet receivers. If the forging is out of spec it doesnt get milled.
As it is, I have never seen an Anderson lower that was not to spec, and I do own them. Clearly whoever is milling those lowers is doing it right. I think maybe you misunderstood my position or just didnt pay close enough attention to what the entire first part of my response referenced.

"For AR lowers i look for two things. 7075 t6 aluminum, hard coat anodized, either milled from billet or forging. All holes cut, drilled, milled to spec. Everything else is personal preference. Some companies who mill their own receivers have better QC than others, just as some companies who buy finished receivers and have their roll mark applied have better QC than others."

When I said I would pay more depending on company I wasnt talking about the obscenely priced boutique crap that is all over the market. It would be stupid for me to spend money for that stuff when a lower priced, equivalent product is available. My point about roll marks is I dont give a crap about how kewl they look. I care about how they perform.

Did you think I was badmouthing Anderson over some other brand?
I dont think you realize I agree with what your saying.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No need dude. I know we have had this discussion at least once in the past. I think we agreed then as well. Besides, if you read it that way then its a pretty good bet others did as well and I hope I cleared up my position for them as well.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't give a crap who makes the rifle as long as it lasts and performs like it is supposed to. But there are definitely people that buy rifles just because of the name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom