New bolt action rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new Savage rifles, not the Axis but the main Savage rifle, meets every one of your requirements. The most accurate out of the box sub $1000 rifle on the market. Mine is the model 116 FCSS Weather Warrior .30-06 with accu-trigger and accu-stock but they are available in .308. They come from the factory drilled and tapped as requested. The Savage Axis is a good rifle but they are Savage's "affordable" model and, although they are good rifles, the Weather Warrior is a big step up. You really cannot buy a better rifle under $1000 or probably even higher. They are definitely the most accurate out the box in this price range. To me, it's the only option.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Howa 1500 heavy barrel varmiter in .308. It had the best trigger from the factory I have ever felt.
If I wanted another bolt rifle it would be a savage model 11 in .260 or another Howa in .308.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a Rem.700 .308 PLT . It has a 20" fluted barrel and weights 7.5 lbs. Replace the floor plate/ detachable mag with a Badger Ordnance one. Then attach a Nikon 3x9x 40mm BDC scope. Then you will have a 9 pd. high capacity rifle that will take hogs at 500 yds. I have this same setup with a threaded barrel.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about the Remington 700, and while I was in the marines, this is the first bolt action .308 I ever shot... M40. No I wasn't a sniper. So I'm already somewhat familiar with it.
And the Savage 116 fcss is a package? Because I'm not just looking for a rifle for less than $1000. I need to get a scope and rings and base for under $1000.

GusMan405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter in .308. I love the rifle... It only ways 7.25lbs and that includes the scope. Speaking of scopes it comes with a Nikon 3x9 BDC Reticle a scope which is 100x's better then the cheap Bushnell scopes that come on most packaged rifles. It also has the adjustable AccuTrigger which you can adjust from 1.5lbs-6lbs and has virtually no creep. By no means am I a bolt action rifle expert, but I do love this savage. Plus it is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. Those are just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

Here is a link to the rifle details. I believe Tommy at sooner state can get this for you cheaper then any place I have found. I believe you can get it for $500 or under.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11trophyhunterxp

Latest posts

Top Bottom