New Ruger Ranch Rifle or New Low End AR? Which to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pondered the same question, went with the Mini-14 Tactical. And, yes, you can get ARs for about the same money, but not a gas piston driven AR. Ruger's gas piston action is beyond reliable.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AR, way more versatile. There are DPMS and S&W AR's at low end prices.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200203-AR-15_vs_Mini-14.pdf

P.S. The cheapest of the cheap AR, polymer lower and all - will shoot circles around Ruger. AR is just a superior platform. If you want a Ruger - well, you get a Ruger, there is nothing "wrong" with it - there is also nothing "logical" about it.

Both of these. ^^^

My base model M&P15 will ring steel at 300 until you are so bored you fall asleep with every brass cased round I've ran through it. My Mini 14 wouldn't even come close to it after about 10 rounds and the barrel started heating up. Mags and accessories for the AR are everywhere and they are just more of an all around useful rifle. There is no comparison on the two, the AR wins hands down. And I like the design of the Miny 14 action so I'm not a hater, just telling you straight up. :twocents:

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had to buy one or the other and keep it in factory configuration, I'd go Ruger. Not based on accuracy necessarily, but because I would be more satisfied with it as it comes. With an AR I'd have the bug to modify it until it was what I wanted. A $600 AR can/will become a $1200 AR very quickly. Just depends on your intentions and how much of a factor $$$ is.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200203-AR-15_vs_Mini-14.pdf

P.S. The cheapest of the cheap AR, polymer lower and all - will shoot circles around Ruger. AR is just a superior platform. If you want a Ruger - well, you get a Ruger, there is nothing "wrong" with it - there is also nothing "logical" about it.

This is funny. When most people argue for one side or the other the link they post will back their argument. Your link shows pretty much a dead heat as far as the author goes. Your last sentence gave me a chuckle though.

Since I am from Kommiefornia I would go with the Ruger.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have about $750 in this:

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_18in_20CMMG_20AR_15_100_5635_Small.jpg

Had about $800 in this one:

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_AR15_9721af67.jpg

I'm a fan of the accuracy and ergonomics of the AR-15. I'd like to get a Mini some day, but at the current prices, the AR is just more versatile IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom