New Shooter Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.. i think that getting good training is a must, but certainly people here have some specific technique advice for a novice or can point me to good instruction books where I could learn some things on my own. There are threads in here where instructors provide gobs of information in concealed carry threads.

B

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try looking for Youtube videos on shooting technique. Look for things from Rob Leatham, Todd Jarrett, Matt Burkett, etc. These guys not only understand what it takes, but how to break it down and explain it in laymans terms. I could spend 2 hours explaining it in print, but a professional handgun trainer could do more in 5 minutes with hands on instruction.

I'm one of those self taught types who has spent 15 years overcoming bad habits. I'd tell you in a heartbeat to sign up with a good training crew and save yourself the agony of unlearning bad habits. The big key to capitalizing on training is follow through after the class though.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys for taking time to give advice here. I'm very much enjoying this forum! I look forward to having time and resources to take some classes.

Would you take the CC class first or a defensive pistol class? I have had a private lesson on the very basics.

B

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys for taking time to give advice here. I'm very much enjoying this forum! I look forward to having time and resources to take some classes.

Would you take the CC class first or a defensive pistol class? I have had a private lesson on the very basics.

B

The CC class will teach you almost nothing about shooting, and nearly anyone can pass it. It takes so long to get your permit, I'd sign up for it first. But I'd schedule a real class between then and when you recieve your permit. :)

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be the kind of shooter you desire the basics have to become subconscious.One can never stop learning or reinforcing the basics; it all starts there. I'm glad you're considering professional traing and hope to see you on the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom