New to bow hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having never owned a bow before, I'm really not sure what I should be looking for when buying one. Any quick suggestions? I'm considering a used High Country, are they any good?

Thanks for the help

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having never owned a bow before, I'm really not sure what I should be looking for when buying one. Any quick suggestions? I'm considering a used High Country, are they any good?

Thanks for the help

I don't know much about High Country Bows. I know you can't go wrong with Hoyt, Mathews, or PSE. Best thing to do is to go to a reputable archery shop and have them set you up. H&H and Oklahoma Archery are both good. I know there are others in the area too, but can't remember their names. You won't be happy if the bow doesn't fit properly.

A couple of tips
1) Go light, even if it feels easy to pull go lighter. Shooting the bow should be fun. Heavy bows will wear you out and hurt accuracy. Since this is your first I wouldn't go over 60lbs (enough to take anything in North America) and would really start out at 50lbs.
2) Go shooting with someone who is experienced. Watch listen and learn.
3) Start out practicing close 10yrds and work your way back. Get your form down first.
4) Practice quality over quantity. Don't shoot a hundred arrows in one day. Shoot 20-30 and make each one count with PERFECT form. If you catch yourself getting worn out stop and come back tomorrow, but practice as often as possible.
5) After you get good, practice at all ranges. Its the buck at 5 yards that will rattle your nerves and cause you to miss.
6) Have fun!!!!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep,..find a good shop and/or good people. Watch and ask lots of questions, most will be willing to help you out. Do not jump overboard and spend $$$$$ on expensive equipment. There's tons of good quality trade ins at most bow shops that will serve you well and give you a chance to learn. After you've got a few seasons under your belt, you'll know what you like and can then spend the big bucks.

Like shooting a rifle,...shot placement is EVERYTHING..! Doesn't really matter how fast or how far you shoot. You must be able to put your arrow in the vitals,..every time...!

I opt for heavy arrows out of quiet bows @ 30 yards or less.

Practice,..Practice,..Practice..

Latest posts

Top Bottom