New to reloading - Need help and advice - PLEASE and Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start with a single stage press. Even if you want to move on to a progressive eventually, the single stage will still be useful.

I'm not familiar with the Square Deal B they are referring to, but if it's a great deal, grab it and work into it. But I would still start with a single stage.

I've always said Lee products will last you a lifetime, Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, etc. will last you five lifetimes. Lee is fine for starting out, I don't think any of the other three are necessarily better than the others, they're all good. Whatever you can get a good deal on. I'm partial to the RCBS Rock Chucker.

Get a good reloading manual, it will not only have load data it will have at least a chapter or two on hand loading procedures. Read and understand it before you start, and use it as reference frequently, especially when you are starting out.

And double check EVERYTHING! Triple check almost everything...

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, i'll even pull a single stage off the bench IF YOU ARE READY TO USE IT and let you use it until you find your own
I have a Lee scale you can use until you settle on one you want.(rezexcellon gave it to me)
EDIT SCALE IS GONE
AC94BBE5-80D9-4093-B2AF-F067B09CDC57.jpeg

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The members of this forum really helped me out when I was first getting started, and even a few times since. I was in your position last year, and was looking at getting into loading my own ammo. I started out with rifles, using a Lee Classic Turret press. I learned quite a lot, and have since sold that press of and am now loading all of my precision rifle ammo with a single stage Rock Chucker. My first mistake when I started loading for my 6.5CM was that I went economical on the dies. My first piece of advice, if you're loading rifle rounds (for any sort of precision shooting), use a good solid single stage press and BUY GOOD DIES. After I spent money on a lee die set for the 6.5CM, I quickly learned the value of buying high quality dies. The Lee dies worked fine, if my goal was just to making range ammo. Between the Lee Dies, and the inability of a turret press to maintain strict tolerances (inherent in the design), I realized that it was nearly impossible to keep a consistant seating depth with my rounds. If you're going to go single stage, my advise would be to buy a big heavy ole press that has ZERO play with the die to press junction. I run Redding Type S Bushing dies with my rifle ammo, on a RCBS Rock Chucker press. The die has zero movement when engaged, which is exactly what I learned I needed after using the turret press. A good full length carbide sizing die with a bushing giving me the exact same neck tension every time. Concentricity is enhanced by the ability of the bushing to self-center on the neck of the cartridge case. The other die in the Redding set is the Competition seating die. If you're going all in, I'd suggest going this route. This seating die has a micrometer with 0.001" adjustments for seating depth.

Here's a couple of threads I created when I was getting started. They are filled with good advice that was given to me. I'd suggest reading through them and you'll get a lot of good info.

First thread, when I was just starting out with rifles:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/just-starting-to-reload-this-weekend.286437/

Second thread I created when I got into loading pistol ammo:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/need-an-education-on-9mm-reloading.294276/

There are also tons of good videos on YouTube. One video that really simplified part of my rifle load development was this one from Erik Cortina.

Erik Cortina is a highly accomplished F-Class shooter, and has some really good stuff on his YouTube page. Another good follow for rifle loading is Panhandle Precision. He has some really fantastic videos going through proper die setup, measurements, load development, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtf8DnvqxrKa9w10dyXSopA

Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started on a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading in my room in the permanent party barracks at Keesler AFB back in the mid 70's. It's a wonder we never got caught. 10s of thousands of .357, .38 and 45ACP and shooting almost every weekend (weather permitting) at the Gulfport police range. It is an awesome machine coupled with carbide dies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom