New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I know is that the folks in Norman really hate the idea. I also almost never use the turnpikes that we have already. That said, maybe the highways are tolerable because of the traffic relief provided by the folks that do take the turnpikes... I know we got crap roads in OK and we gotta figure out some kind of solution while the problem is manageable. Not sure what it is, but I think we have to do something.
I used to go out of my way to not use the turnpikes because it killed me to pull a couple bucks out of the wallet to pay to drive.
Then got my head out of the rectum and thought, when I take the route around it, I'm passing through small towns with lots of stop lights, taking more time and costing more gas than it would be to take the turnpike.
Now, with the pikepass, it's just drive on and let the CC take care of the incidentals.
The Kilpatrick in OKC cuts 20 minutes off my time when heading West to I-40 when approaching from the North.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to go out of my way to not use the turnpikes because it killed me to pull a couple bucks out of the wallet to pay to drive.
Then got my head out of the rectum and thought, when I take the route around it, I'm passing through small towns with lots of stop lights, taking more time and costing more gas than it would be to take the turnpike.
Now, with the pikepass, it's just drive on and let the CC take care of the incidentals.
The Kilpatrick in OKC cuts 20 minutes off my time when heading West to I-40 when approaching from the North.
Yep, and think about all those small town businesses that lost a heap of their customer load because of that Turnpike. That was the primary downfall of businesses along the famous Route 66, almost to the point of being completely abandoned.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, and think about all those small town businesses that lost a heap of their customer load because of that Turnpike. That was the primary downfall of businesses along the famous Route 66, almost to the point of being completely abandoned.
That is a true statement, but I'm always surprised at the number of businesses along that route that have revitalized and brought in customers by using the Route 66 moniker though.
We traveled that route all the way to Arizona for the last two years in the winter and always stopped along the way with the restaurants that advertise that route. The guy that changes my oil here in town is ate up with it. Has memorabilia all over his shop.
In our increasing mobile society with goods and services needing a quick route to and from, the old Route 66 is relegated to history because of its own popularity and the challenges it presented.
2 lane, stop lights, low speed limits and it could not carry the loads that today's freight carriers can bring.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that the folks in Norman really hate the idea. I also almost never use the turnpikes that we have already. That said, maybe the highways are tolerable because of the traffic relief provided by the folks that do take the turnpikes... I know we got crap roads in OK and we gotta figure out some kind of solution while the problem is manageable. Not sure what it is, but I think we have to do something.
You dont travel many states I see. I think you should before you defile our highway system.
I've been to 43 of them. Match that and then report back.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dont travel many states I see. I think you should before you defile our highway system.

Our work doing road and pavement condition surveys collaborates your statement. EVERY state has some crappy roads, but we've not worked as many as 43 states, but I have driven in way more than we have worked.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma used to say that Oklahoma had the rich politicians and Texas had the good roads, but having driven a few thousand miles of Texas highways and FMs over the last few years, including this last weekend, Texas has some garbage highways, too.

It was funny—a few days ago I was watching an episode of Off the Ranch (Demolition Ranch’s Matt Carriker’s other YouTube channel) in which he flew to Tulsa to buy an RV and drove it home. He spent way too much time saying “Oklahoma, fix your highways!” I was thinking about some of the horrible Texas highways I’d driven, then he crossed the Red River to end up driving over some rough as a cob Texas highways...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma used to say that Oklahoma had the rich politicians and Texas had the good roads, but having driven a few thousand miles of Texas highways and FMs over the last few years, including this last weekend, Texas has some garbage highways, too.

It was funny—a few days ago I was watching an episode of Off the Ranch (Demolition Ranch’s Matt Carriker’s other YouTube channel) in which he flew to Tulsa to buy an RV and drove it home. He spent way too much time saying “Oklahoma, fix your highways!” I was thinking about some of the horrible Texas highways I’d driven, then he crossed the Red River to end up driving over some rough as a cob Texas highways...
Iowa... OMG

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think OTA is in a good position to be successful with anything in the future. I think their financials are wrecked, and they are basically needing to sell new bonds to stay afloat, and they still have old bonds that are not paid off. They are wanting to borrow more money to pay for existing debt along with maintenance and a couple new projects. Why do they need new bonds to pay old bonds, and also put road maintenance needs on bonds, isn't that what tolls are for?

There's a pending decision from the State Supreme Court questioning the legal authorization of the new routes. It will be an interesting ruling because if they do not have the legal authorization to build these, then the Kickapoo was built illegally too. Also US Bureau of Reclamation denied the current routes because these fools thought they can draw lines anywhere and build roads. If you read their application they sent to the BOR it will make you chuckle, I think grade school kids could have submitted a better application, OTA didn't even answer or address several concerns that are obviously important for the process, it's like they think they can do whatever they want.

OTA already lost one lawsuit on an open meetings act violation, the ruling was considered a willful violation. This lawsuit voided all progress they have made so far, including bids, contracts and payments already made for engineering, consulting, planning, surveys etc. The launch of this new plan was very shady, and in many ways they tried to hide, conceal and suppress information from the public.

Latest posts

Top Bottom