New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, lived just North of Rock Springs (Mother was born in Rock Springs) for a couple of years until the oil patch ''boom/bust' cycle went bust in the early '80's. B-I-L retired out of the oil field and moved to Winnemucca, NV and I went to Colorado Springs, CO. Only reason I don't move back to WY is because at my age I wouldn't handle the winter well 🙁
went to evanston (18 frost free days per year i believe)
built whitney canyon gas plant. worked all over, rock springs to slc refineries..
august 80
stayed till 86
what a great experience.
good thing i was young.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting story. On the other hand, with regards to this other thread that you started, I would think that additional roads, be they turnpikes or other, would benefit Oklahoma in the transport of bulk materials. After all, I don't think Oklahoma's rail network would be helpful in much of those bulk transports.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/is-it-oklahomas-time-to-shine.355516/#post-4017621
Oklahoma is in a unique position right now. Producing, finishing and transporting manufactured goods is very hot and Oklahoma is in a good position to cash in on that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the first rail line along the I-70 corridor from Chicago to CA was built by many immigrants. A lot of Chinese, Irish and such. That first RR set the stage for further new rail lines and the eminent domain powers that BNSF here in OK have. If you ever get through Kearney NE on I-70, stop at the museum arch over the interstate. Its very interesting and educational about the RR.

I just might have to go see that museum. After all, I've not spent much time in either Montana or North Dakota. After we get past doing the Summer jobs, maybe that is a necessary road trip.

I love museums almost as much as seeing the great landscape that God has created.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I just might have to go see that museum. After all, I've not spent much time in either Montana or North Dakota. After we get past doing the Summer jobs, maybe that is a necessary road trip.

I love museums almost as much as seeing the great landscape that God has created.
The Sandhills in Western NE are a hidden treasure as well.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

I said I-70 but it's I-80, its history of more than just the RR that follows I-80. Alot of Pioneer history with amazing live looking displays. I-80 was the first interstate highway in the US and it tells about that a lot, maybe more so than the RR. I can't remember as it was many years ago when I saw it.
I really enjoyed it.
https://visitnebraska.com/kearney/archway

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sandhills in Western NE are a hidden treasure as well.

Yeppers...

...been there as well. At one time, my Father-in-law bought a couple of different ranches up in that area. He initially bought an excellent one and did work to improve it, but then he got suckered by a real estate guy that he had used to buy the place and ended up selling the nice one to buy a crappy one elsewhere.

But then, his two places were at the edge of the Sand Hills being that they were in the Ainsworth area in north-central NE.

Meheseko

Marksman
Reaction score
Has anybody seen a good map for the eastern turnpike extension from I40 to I35 near Purcell? I've seen some generalized maps but nothing i can zoom in on and actually see where it's proposed.
Thankfully the OTA has shelved the ACCESS Oklahoma because of the enormous pushback against it, Hopefully it never returns.

Michael Hilliary

Marksman
Reaction score
All I know is that the folks in Norman really hate the idea. I also almost never use the turnpikes that we have already. That said, maybe the highways are tolerable because of the traffic relief provided by the folks that do take the turnpikes... I know we got crap roads in OK and we gotta figure out some kind of solution while the problem is manageable. Not sure what it is, but I think we have to do something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom